Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Lou
 Post subject: New Battery
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:30 pm 

My 3 yr old PC 680 just left me hangin'... My local Interstate Battery Center has this battery ^
Pretty much all the same specs as the Oddyssey, except it has an unadvertised cold cranking amp.
Thinking of trying this battery out, does anyone have any experience with it?

Profile Personal album  

James Grahn
 Post subject: Re: New Battery
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:49 pm 

Nope. Is it glass matt?
Cubes

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:40 pm 

Do you keep it on a trickle charge ? I do and it seems to fill the bill to keep close to the 13 volts charge state . BOOM ! I do notice that after the first start and on the alternator it seems to charge the battery completely and I have no problems starting . ::)

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

dan
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:43 pm 

Lou, if you will put that PC 680 on a 30amp charge for 2hrs you will find it will come back to life. If your alt is putting out lower than 14.2 volts the PC will just slowly go away. Dan

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:17 pm 

8-10 year design life for the PC-680 according to web reports...2 year shelf life. I would probably count on 5-8 years fully charged , although I have kept lead acid batteries (not AGM) on a low charge (6 volt/12 volt) well past their 24 month warranty period...5 years ! Probably the key is not to let them sit idle and just run some juice thru them ? BOOM !

According to the current charger I have , it sez if the battery (AGM) is fully discharged then set it for 6 volt charging and when it has reached that level ( 6 volts) switch to 12 volt charging . Not sure if it works , have not tried it ?

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

Lou
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:50 pm 

The ol girl has been getting harder to crank over and has final given up. Cables are clean and tight. Alternator puts out 14.8 volts. The battery bench test marginally ok so I put it back in and got one start out of it. Starter draws voltage down to 9

Profile Personal album  

Lou
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:58 pm 

James Grahn wrote:
Nope. Is it glass matt?
Cubes

Also known as:
SLA or Sealed Lead Acid
VRLA or Valve Regulated Lead Acid
AGM or Absorbed Glass Mat
Compatible with Gel Cell applications

Profile Personal album  

dan
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:20 am 

I have left my master switch on more than once, for a week at a time(oh my) and went to start the bird, deader than a door nail. It is a process to get one of these back thats for sure, my standard automotive charger just wont do it hardly. I had a 3 yr old Batt and killed it, so I thought, by draining it dry leaving the switch on. Gloria ordered me another Batt and before it got to the house I did a little research on these gel rigs. The long short of it, the new Batt is in the plane, the old Batt is just fine I have it on the shelf and use it for a backup, or booster. 30 amps, 2-hrs, these Batts have a high amp charge requirement, 10 amps will bring one up but you might have to charge for 2-days...Look at the Odessy web site and take a look at the line of chargers they have for these rigs its kinda interesting.........Dan Boom.........Boom Boom.........Boom,( Im not as good as Rich at the Boom thing.)

SHIPCHIEF
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:10 am 

Just a note to say it might not be the battery.
Feisty was getting hard to start, but I had replaced the battery last May, so I blamed the starter.
And that's what it was. I installed a Sky Tec flyweight starter and it really spins the old O-290 over!
However, my Weight & Balance indicates a need to move some weight forward, so I'm considering replacing the 27 pound lead acid battery with a 4.9 pound LiFePO4 LFX36A3-BS12
http://www.shoraipower.com/s.nl/it.A/id.106/.f
which should fit where a PC680 was, with room to spare.

Lou
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:26 am 

pound lead acid battery with a 4.9 pound LiFePO4 LFX36A3-BS12
http://www.shoraipower.com/s.nl/it.A/id.106/.f
which should fit where a PC680 was, with room to spare.[/quote]

Holly crap! 540 CCA out of a 5 lb. battery!

Profile Personal album  

Lou
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:30 am 

30 amps, 2-hrs, these Batts have a high amp charge requirement, 10 amps will bring one up but you might have to charge for 2-days...Look at the Odessy web site and take a look at the line of chargers they have for these rigs its kinda interesting.........Dan Boom.........Boom Boom.........Boom,( Im not as good as Rich at the Boom thing.)[/quote]

While my alt. puts out 14.8 volts I never see more than 10 amps?

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:38 pm 

2 tips to help from leaving the Master on...

1. Have a check list . Pocket check list or like I did laminate one and install it on the dash. Very small print and doesn't take up much room . I do not fly that often and trusting the old noodle to remember all the flow items can be a chore. The other thing I did was...
2. Wire the Hobbs meter to the Alternator switch so if I leave the Master on after shut down I hear this funny "clicking sound" coming from the Hobbs meter . DOH !, left the Master on ! Bada Bing , Bada Boom !

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

mattst18
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:13 pm 

The "check list" I use was taught to me by my Tailwheel Transition Instructor. Just say that to yourself or outloud when shuting down. "Mixture, Master, Mags". Three things you want to remember to "shut off". Bada Bing, Bada Boom! :)

Although it didn't help that one night during the conditional inspection and... Hum a "clicking sound" may of helped that time. :)

Profile Personal album  

dan
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:52 pm 

Good Idea Rich, It's frustrating to go to the hanger and find out the thing is dead, I've done it enough to double and triple check the thing now it is a pain to bring one of these batts up from the dead. Lou I can't tell you what kind of amps I run but I do have a 55amp alt. 10 amps won't do one of the batts unless it is on there for hrs, this is just my experience from having to charge the crazy things. A trickle will keep one from discharging but that's about it, what kind of alt do you have? Dan

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:45 pm 

Wiring the Hobbs to the Alternator switch has saved me when I am doing maint. on the AC .
I turn on both the Alt/Battery switch if I am doing any panel work , that way when I get tired and head to the house at the end of the day that "ticking sound" tells me I am not quite done ! ::) I have the Plane Power Alternator that came new with my Aero Sport Power engine . Did an engine run in the driveway getting ready to trailer to KSEE in the morning . Checked the volts on my new GT-50 Gauge and it was reading 14.3 volts . I also installed a Tru Trak Gemini PFD , replacing the made in China ADI . >:D The Tru Trak PFD weighs about 4 ounces and the old gyro about 3-4 pounds . A nice trade . I'll post pics of the Gemini PFD for the next TT issue . Flying up to FlaBob Airport on Saturday as a flight of two with John Kerr for the 3rd Saturday pancake breakfast and hanger tours . Lou fly on over and join us . We plan to be there around 0900 on the 16th ! BOOM !

RB O0

Profile Personal album