Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

chuck
 Post subject: Re: Landing light
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:23 pm 

RB: Who needs speed brakes or to slip when you've got a Grimes!

KIWI

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:24 pm 

Exactly ! Is this war surplus off a B-17 ? It probably has a manuf. date stamped on it ? Do you see a spike on the amp meter when the beast is in operation ? Exactly how big of a hole does this search lite take up ? Hate to be on the ground if part of this head knocker fell off ! :'( So many questions for a light... ;D

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

chuck
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:32 am 

It may have a date stamp; I have to remove the pilot seat to access the backside of the light. It has I'm guessing an 8/10" whole and does draw the amp meter: the panel lights do dim when turned on. If I can get the angle adjusted with the manual Hank provided I'm going to leave it in and call it good (for now). I frankly don't due that much night flying, just want it to work properly when and if needed. Once I get through some of the more pressing updates I may revisit changing this outdated lighting system.

KIWI

Profile Personal album  

Victor J Thompson
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:23 pm 

Rich: these are not from B17,....Ha Ha. The Grimes model which is shown is however the older style which only extends and retracts.

The RCAF has had these type of Grimes lights installed on the CH135 (Bell Twin Hueys) and the CH146 (Bell 412 helicopters).
The Grimes retractable lights that the CDN military had installed also, extended and retracted and when extended could rotate left and right and shine almost directly behind the helicopter.

These lights are designed to be used in 180-220 Knots range no issues for the above helicopters. Grimes at one time offered a vibration kit to dampen oscellations, however the RCAF did not modify our fleets as we experence very few failures with this light assembly, other than bulb replacements and the occassional seized motor replacements. :)

Ours bulbs were about 8.25 wide and 4.5 inches deep, the motor assembly was accessable through a floor access panel, the unit was water tight. (Read no water landings,....)

Our helicopters worked off 28 VDC systems and reading the supplied documentation shows a 13 VDC system parts as well for use in members T-18.

Profile Personal album  

smokyray
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:04 pm 

chuck wrote:
I found tonight that when the light came down it went to (I'm guessing) 120 degrees or so and the beam shines just forward of the landing gear and unable to be seen while landing :( . Is there an adjustment for the amount of deflection? Thanks again, the wealth of knowledge and support is greatly appreciated.
It's gettin cold heya ta nite! the kilt, she's a bit drafty.Slainte.

Aye Laddie, ya can. Our wee Cessna 140 had a grimes in it. The housing has an adjustable deflection stop the geared track stops on. There is also a switch in it which turns the light off and on at full extension. Lower the light then turn off the master to leave it extended. Inspect the micro switch and wires while you're there, I suspect that's the problem. BTW, if you want a simple, bright, low draw LL, check this out, It will attach to the lower cowl with a removable bracket and fixed plug in. Night flying? Just plug and play, remove when not needed. Z-Tron Labs make nice strobes too, no power pack needed and very light.

Just be careful when ya "tilt the kilt" :)

V/R
Smokey

http://www.ztronlabs.com/products.php

chuck
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:22 pm 

Smokey,

Yea, I printed off a PDF that one of our members posted for adjustment procedures. One I get through this gas tank issue I'll get back to adjusting my "speed brake"!

Aye, but the Lassies love a tilted kilt! ;)

Slainte

KIWI

Profile Personal album