Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Binder
 Post subject: Re: Solenoid
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:43 pm 

Rich Brazell wrote:
Go to the EAA web site and find the homebuilders video section . Look for the video named...Solenoids-Master relay and Starter relay . It will tell you everything you need or want to know about these little buzz bombs . ??? The EAA video section is an EXCELLENT source for reference and "how to" when it comes to maintaining an experimental AC . ;)

RB O0
CAPTAIN ELECTRON

I watch as many of those as I can. Unfortunately quite a few that I wanted to watch just sit there and don't play. They aren't dead links because it starts up like it will play but nothing happens.

Jeff J
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:22 pm 

Binder wrote:
I watch as many of those as I can. Unfortunately quite a few that I wanted to watch just sit there and don't play. They aren't dead links because it starts up like it will play but nothing happens.

It might be a problem with the Flash player. I keep it disabled on my computer and have to activate it to watch some of the EAA videos. It usually won't tell me what is wrong if I forget but when it does its something like "Adobe Flash is outdated". There is a lot of good information there but some of it is just general knowledge that most mechanics should already know. The solenoid video is one of them. The only new info for me was the recommendation to mount the starter solenoid sideways but, according to other posts in this thread, that may not be a good idea.

"The joke in aviation is, 'If you want to make a million, you'd better start with £10m.' " -Bruce Dickinson

Profile Personal album  

Binder
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:28 pm 

Jeff J wrote:
Binder wrote:

It might be a problem with the Flash player. I keep it disabled on my computer and have to activate it to watch some of the EAA videos. It usually won't tell me what is wrong if I forget but when it does its something like "Adobe Flash is outdated". There is a lot of good information there but some of it is just general knowledge that most mechanics should already know. The solenoid video is one of them. The only new info for me was the recommendation to mount the starter solenoid sideways but, according to other posts in this thread, that may not be a good idea.

Flash player was working on other videos. Literally I can play a video, click on another one to play and it just sits there. I've tried on 3 different computer setups trying to get the same video to play with no luck. It seems to be tied to the specific video. I'd have to go searching through them to find the ones that didn't play for me though.

jrevens
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:54 pm 

Jeff J wrote:
Binder wrote:
The only new info for me was the recommendation to mount the starter solenoid sideways but, according to other posts in this thread, that may not be a good idea.

If you have a White-Rogers solenoid, which a large percentage of the G.A. fleet does, it is not a good idea according to White-Rogers, the manufacturer. I believe I posted a link to one of their product spec sheets that specifically stated that. There are solenoid contactors that are designed for horizontal mounting, if desired.

I haven't had a problem playing any of the EAA videos, but I have found that they sometimes contain information or details that are inaccurate or incorrect, in my opinion. One example that I viewed recently on installing BNC connectors on antenna wire is one of those. They give some specific dimensions for stripping and preparing the cable, completely ignoring the fact that different brands of connectors sometimes require different dimensions in that regard (with the same antenna cable). An example of that are Amphenol brand (very well-known and commonly used) connectors for RG-400 or RG-58, that require different stripping dimensions than stated on the video. It may work but it's not correct, and may be less reliable or less efficient as far as losses go. Someone who knows nothing about fabricating their antenna cables and follows the video's advice will quite likely be doing it wrong. It may not be a big deal to some, but it's no harder to do something like that the right way. The video should recommend and state that the manufacturer's specific instructions should be followed, IMHO.

T-18 N71JE (sold)
Kitfox 7 SS N27JE