Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Tim Brown
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:59 am 

I was having trouble with terminal controllers reading mode C so I pulled the transponder and encoder (ACK A-30) and shopped around for a price to see whats wrong...

the local avionics shop quoted $90 to look and a minimum of $90 x 2 if they had to do anything other than look) $270 + parts plus more labour so I continued to shop.

I found a fellow (recommended to me by friends at the Springfield Flying Club) that works in a shop for a small commuter Co. said he would give me a free estimate; sounded like a good deal.

He called and told me that mode C does work, problem is with the transponder on the receive side not the encoder; it can't hear an interrogation from more than about 10 miles so it won't respond (mode A works fine ?).

He estimates 4 or 5 hours at $80/hr plus parts to repair..

What now?

Looks to me like a $500 - ???? bill to repair the Collins. I plan a panel upgrade in a few years (not now :( ) and would like to get a transponder with mode C (mandatory in most of my area) and am torn, do I leave it and stay out of terminal areas for a few years or throw money at the Collins to fix it, or replace it?

Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album  

Terry Adams
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:05 pm 

Ebay may be your friend. I am not an advocate, I'll just tell you my experience. I have bought two Cessna/RT-859 transponders on ebay at around $400 each. Both worked well, then one developed a symptom of alternately broadcasting 7700/1200. Took it to my favorite shop in Sacramento, after 30 minutes of testing, fixed loose ground connection on the PCB for $20.
Ebay has been my friend: two Narco Com 810s (~$500ea) and two Narco AR-850 encoders $25/$35. All have performed well. YMMV. Oh, and my color moving map GPS.
Let the chorus begin, because I am sure there are those with the opposite opinion of Ebay.
Terry
N51079
KSCK

Last edited by admin on Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album  

hurant
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:32 pm 

I've had good luck with all the Ebay items I have bought. My albatross was Barnstormers. All five deals were bad but a salvage yard in California made good on the Narco transponder and a private seller in Seattle on the auto pilot that cost over $100.00 to ship back.

Last edited by admin on Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

larrysalerno
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:47 am 

When my old kt76 bit the dust I went to EBay, I bought one from Wentworth, in Minneapolis, I won the bid for 275.00, they guarenteed it. I had it in 2 days, put it in and it was giving wierd varying replies to ATC. Wentworth said send it back, they have ther own "in house" tech. They sent me another 2 days later, it was spot on and has worked flawlessly for over a year.

Last edited by admin on Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

larrysalerno
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:55 am 

One more thing the garmin 320 is a all electronic, I missed a couple on Ebay in the 700.00 range, most of the guys in the RV group I hang with have this model and swear by it. Also there is a guy in Florida that has fixed prices for Transponder repair, I found him by googling "aviation Transponder troublshooting", his site had a complete how to do basic troublshooting.

Last edited by admin on Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tim Brown
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:38 am 

Thanks for the great ideas, I am going to try and get a FIRM price from this fellow so I can make a decision. I appreciate the feedback about prices and options, otherwise I have nothing but new retail to go by....

I should know more Monday-Tuesday :)

I think I found it...is this it?

http://transponderrepair.com/

Last edited by Tim Brown on Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album  

larrysalerno
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:08 pm 

yes Tim that is the guy, I didnt use him because Wentworth had such a good price and face plate was in new condition.

Last edited by admin on Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.