Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

James Grahn
 Post subject: Thorp Central
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:08 am 

Folks, my wife and I have been running Thorp Central for 2.5 years. It's a lot of work and the payback is not financial, it's via the satisfaction of helping others. I thrive on hearing about problems solved or guys enjoying their birds.
However, it has come to my attention that their are members out there making parts for other people. My reaction is simple. First, you signed a contract with the plans limiting your production to one airplane for your own use i.e. It's illegal. Second, you have to know you are undercutting Thorp Central. It's not a lot of folks, but that's not the point. Believe me when I say I would be much happier making parts and working on my own 3.5 Thorps than making parts for others. Please consider the future of support for this awesome bird when making those decisions.
By the way, I'd like to announce that I have found a supplier for T and S spar caps. I can get both top and bottom caps in unlimited supply. As a reminder, we have OEM discounting for Hartzell propellors and Matco Brakes and wheels.
Cubes

Profile Personal album  

Hagle347
 Post subject: Re: Thorp Central
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:19 pm 

The Vertical Fin Dorsal fairing looks nice. Send one my way for 218TH when you get a chance.
Well said, Perhaps no one ever thought about the issue like that. I hope it makes a difference.

T

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
 Post subject: Re: Thorp Central
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:28 pm 

Attachment:
Scan0080.jpg
Scan0080.jpg [ 139.79 KiB | Viewed 30635 times ]
We seem to go thru this cycle every once in a while . :o I think it is attributed to new folks that didn't buy a set of plans and are not aware of the "contract" you make when you purchase a set . As Jim sez you only get one bite of the apple ! I have often said if you look at the cost of the finished product the suppliers provide , you will not spend that much more on a part you make for your self by the time you pay for the raw materials , shipping to your house , making molds and form blocks and throwing away the first few of every thing you made . Not mention the HOURS of work involved ! :P I know some folks get joy and a sense of accomplishment making EVERYTHING from scratch and I think that is great , but there are some parts even the Great Fabricator (me) can not make w/o going to an adult nite school class...welding is one of them .

I know if I did not receive my partial project with a butt load of Ken Knowles/Phil Tucker ready made parts I would probably still be banging out aluminum to make something that looks like a Sky Machine ! I know Jim and Richard probably answer a handful of calls a week asking for advice and how to read the BP's . Isn't that worth the price of admission ? ;)

RB O0
The Great Fabricator
DON'T WORRY I WELDED IT !

Profile Personal album