Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Andy475
 Post subject: Panel Upgrades ideas
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:38 am 

My 30 year old Narco's are starting to go one by one, first (predictably), it was the 122, now its the transponder, and I'm sure the 125 is waiting its turn. I was looking into possible upgrades and I'm tempted to go with a MGL v16/N16 Comm/Nav or a gamin Comm paired with the N16. Anyone have any experience with these MGL radios? Good/bad/otherwise? I was also planning on adding a GRT mini as an HSI head allowing for a backup ADI display should I lose vacuum. The intent is to set up a redundent but baisc (/U) IFR capability to penetrate overcast layers while travelling. Open to other ideas.

-Andy
N78WG

SHIPCHIEF
 Post subject: Re: Panel Upgrades ideas
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:29 pm 

I also have Narco, in my case a com-810 and an AT-150 transponder. Both still work great.
I recently upgraded another plane from a (failing) Terra suit to Garmin GTR200 and GTX327. I had previously installed a Dynon D-10a EFIS. I had not been using the Nav/ILS or ADF....Foreflight on an iPad, and an old Garmin 295 color GPS are easier...but I don't fly IFR.
The newer transponders take serial code for barometric altitude, so a Grand Rapids, Dynon or MGL EFIS will provide this, you can remove the old altitude encoder. (sweet!)
Also, the GTR-200 has a built in VOX intercom and music input. The newest ones (GTR-200B, Q1 2019 release) have Bluetooth and can handle cellphone calls!
Feisty, my T-18 has been upgraded to a Dynon D-10a and the vacuum system removed. Several pounds of vacuum pump, plumbing, regulator, filter etc removed along with instruments and gauges.
I also use a 7" Android tablet with Avare because it's a free Electronic Flight Book and these iPads and Tablets are easily moved/upgraded compared to the cost of built-in avionics.

You will love it and never look back.

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:13 pm 

whatever you choose, you will not regret the glass! I would yank all the vacuum plumbing. That's what I did and I haven't missed it one bit.

Profile Personal album  

Hagle347
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:46 pm 

This is the panel for N218TH. It's got a Grand Rapids Sport EX7 for the main display. Comm is a Garmin GTR-200- I like the built in 2 place intercom as well as the ability to listen to the monitor freq. I've wired my Infinity Stick to toggle between the active and monitor freq. Transponder is a Garmin GTX-327 that's tied into an Echo UAT for ADSb. Another button on the stick provides the 'ident' feature. I have an iPad Mini 4 with a Pivot mount running foreflight for current charts. Behind the panel there is a 3 amp backup battery that will feed the Sport EX 7 that only draws an amp an hour. More than enough to get this VFR bird on the ground should the B&C alternator stop working. Main power is provided by an EarthX Lithium Iron battery.

There's also a Grand Rapids EIS-4000 for EGT, CHT and other inputs that also feed into the Sport EX7.

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:07 pm 

I decided to go with an all electric panel (except for pitot static gauges) when I was starting my panel . Back in 2009 glass was out of my price range . :o Not to mention the fact that every 6 months a "new" electronic gadget hit the streets ! :P Impossible to keep up with . :D The only glass item I ended up with a few years later was the TruTrak Gemini PFD with heading , bank , speed and altitude tape . O:-) The radios and transponder are Microair and weigh less than a pound each ! I just like "round" gauges !

RB O0

Profile Personal album