Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Rich Brazell
 Post subject: uAvionix ADS-B install
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:27 pm 

Attachment:
UAvionics ADS-B 005.JPG
UAvionics ADS-B 005.JPG [ 217.96 KiB | Viewed 16991 times ]
Attachment:
UAvionics ADS-B 004.JPG
UAvionics ADS-B 004.JPG [ 148.79 KiB | Viewed 16991 times ]
Attachment:
UAvionics ADS-B 003.JPG
UAvionics ADS-B 003.JPG [ 189.86 KiB | Viewed 16991 times ]
Attachment:
UAvionics ADS-B 001.JPG
UAvionics ADS-B 001.JPG [ 206.63 KiB | Viewed 16991 times ]
95% complete on the install of the uAvionix ADS-B Echo/skyFYX unit . Installed the Echo portion of the unit behind the baggage compart along with the required 1 amp CB . I used the 2 foward attach screws from the skyFYX to secure the mounting bracket for the CB and Echo . Then it was just a matter of providing a power source which I did thru a push button switch on the inst. panel along with a green led "ON" lite . Awaiting on a premade coax cable with the appropriate end fittings , then the Echo will be attached to the UAT antenna on the bottom of the AC . The skyFYX GPS antenna/receiver was installed on the canopy deck between the rails . The skyFYX needs a clear view of the sky . Once the coax and antenna are hooked up , then I can program the unit via WiFi/Smart Phone (this is where my wife surpasses my giant brain capacity with using a "Smart Phone !) Hopefully I can give the unit a good workout on the way to KVIS and report the results . That is all . :P

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

blackopsspook
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:14 am 

As always Rich, you do excellent work! I think the solution for ADS-B you came up with is quite cost effective, as we've discussed previously.

::N18VP::

campipilot
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:21 pm 

Hey Rich,

How much is the setup? I went to Uavionix website which has a link to amazon to purchase it, but amazon says unavailable. Where did you buy it?

Cheers
Curtis

Bill Williams
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:14 pm 
Why would you buy it from Amazon?? you can buy it direct from Uavionx or several avionics shops

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:28 pm 

I got mine from iFLY GPS at Adventure Pilot web site . I picked Adventure Pilot as I have an iFLY 720 GPS and figured it would be easier to get programming help if I needed it . The cost...it will depend . If you have a compliant GPS source such as a Garmin or Dynon EFIS you will only need the Echo part of the system . The Echo is $999.00 . I did not have a GPS source so I needed the uAvionix skyFYX GPS antenna/receiver (the white unit attached to my canopy deck) . Another $499.00 . Total $1,399.00 and free shipping and no tax for me as I am not in Texas . You should be able to order from the site ? If not it lists the following distributors (do not know what they charge)...

Aircraft Spruce
Gulf Coast Avionics
Pacific Coast Avionics

I found a site (by accident) that had the latest uAvionixs product update from OSH 2017 and it showed a new unit that replaces the wing tip position light . You remove the light and attach the new ADS-B unit , hooking up + and ground and there is no programming of the unit needed ! A neat concept except if it's that easy to install it would be just as easy to rip off a $1,400.00 ADS-B from your wing tip !!

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

Bill Williams
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:57 pm 
Spent some time with these guys at Oshkosh and they told us the wing tip would not be available until the first of the year.
it is ADS B out only and not in. I think they quoted me 2000 for the wing tip
The better deal if you want I/O is the system you bought and depending if you need WAAS another 500 bucks and if you can use their surface mounted antenna or want to add an additional antenna for 50 bucks
Anyway, 1400 to 1550 will get you I/O ADS B

James Grahn
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:50 pm 

But, as I understood them Bill, you need an existing transponder and or encoder. Right? And this one does not qualify for the rebate.
Cubes

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:21 pm 

You are correct Cubes . You need at least a legacy transponder (like my Microair) Mode C/S and the unit will pick up the info via WiFi . OR you can spend 2-3X as much for the Dynon or Garmin EFIS type units (with internal GPS) and some how interface with the unit ? No rebate for the unit as I read the FAA policy on rebates as the ADS-B has to be a "certified unit" on the approved list (Dynon/Garmin, etc.) AND have it installed by an A & P , more $$$ in order to get the rebate . FAA...BAD DOG !! >:(

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:49 pm 

uAvionix SkyBeacon is the wing tip ADS-B/position lite . Web site sez coming out in the Fall of 2017 for experimental AC . Neat concept . ;) Simple to install and no programming as I read it ? :P Expected cost under $2000.00 . ???

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

1albee
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:28 am 

I bought and installed the Appareo Stratus ESG that is a mode S transponder with an internal GPS. Was easy to install (same size as the King KT 76 A, I removed). Hope to fly the required check out soon in class C airspace (in the middle of replacing the roof on the house) but have not had any problems with ATC on resent flights. The unit cost is less than $3,000.00 before the $500.00 rebate that is ending this month. :o

Phil
118BC

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:06 pm 

uAvionix ADS-B installed and powered up in garage . Unit programmed via WiFi/smart phone . Appears to be working . ??? "Flashing/colored status lites" on unit sez it is transmitting/receiving . :o Was able to pick up traffic into KSAN while parked in the garage . ::) Airborne test next with ATC . That is all . RB out .

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

Bill Williams
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:00 pm 
Ordered unit from uAvionix Thursday

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:52 pm 

Got the UAT coax antenna cable off of Ebay (6ft $30.00) . One end SMA (to attach to the Echo) other end BNC to fit the UAT antenna connection . Not many options to put the UAT antenna on the belly in my case as the UAT antenna has to be at least 1 meter from the transponder antenna and the VHF COMM . If you have the VHF antenna on the top you have a few more options for placement . ;)

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

Bill Williams
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:39 pm 
Rich, I have two VHF antenna's , one on the upper deck mid way between the back of the canopy and rudder. The second is center of the removable floorboard. The transponder antenna is located about the trailing edge of the wing, bottom of the fuselage. I was planning mounting everything under the top of the baggage compartment. The WAAS antenna would be surface mounted towards the rear of the canopy on the luggage shelf
What do you think?

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:13 pm 

Bill : I mounted my Echo unit behind my baggage compartment under the canopy deck using the two foward screws of the SKYFYX GPS antenna receiver that I mounted on the canopy deck . The UAT antenna (looks just like a "stick type" transponder antenna) needs to be mounted on the belly as long as it is at least 1 meter from your VHF and transponder antenna . Looks like your lower VHF antenna location is good . I would get out the old trusty tape measure and look at placing the UAT antenna on the belly in the area of the flap cables , based upon your transponder antenna location ?

RB O0

Profile Personal album