Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

jrevens
 Post subject: Re: ADSb
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:53 pm 

That looks good, Rich. I think we'll be happy with these little units, but if not I'll blame it on you. ???

I'm gonna' feel much safer, knowing the government will know where you are all the time now. C:-)

T-18 N71JE (sold)
Kitfox 7 SS N27JE

bfinney
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:09 am 

John, I think you're on to some thing there, about RB of course. 8)

N18JF T-18C #262
Yelm, WA USA

Profile Personal album  

Binder
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:26 am 

Rich Brazell wrote:
Attachment:
UAvionix ADS-B 002.JPG
Went ahead and got the UAvionix ADS-B unit . Decided on the Echo UAT/SKYFYX-EXT unit . The SKYFYX part of the set up has the GPS receiver/antenna in one unit and only requires tapping into the Echo +/- power leads along with attaching the gray data wire to the Echo wire harness . Comes with attaching hardware . The 978 antenna needs to be mounted and you supply the coax from the antenna to the Echo unit . Attach the power/grd to the Echo unit via a 1 amp CB , program your GPS (iFLY in my case) to accept the data and UR in business . Incredibly light weight ! ??? I hate waiting until the last minute only to find this and other more expensive ADS-B units are on back order ! :o

RB O0

Take plenty of pictures of the install!

Rich, the ifly gps is just s bonus and not needed for the system to work, correct? From what I've read the system you mentioned has all the waas and things to be adsb out legal.

Nevadamtnguy
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:58 am 

After reading John's recommendation, i bought one, too - then found a deal on a GTX-327 to replace my KT-76 [not -76A]. Still in for less than the Appareo. Main advantage over the Appareo, for me, is the mounting of the GPS antenna - 3 wires instead of a coax. You do have to install their UAT antenna. and find coax for that.
You're going to need either an IPad, or an iphone/ Android to do the set-up; you do not HAVE to have an EFB - but it provides the same upload info as the Stratux [same protocol] for geo-reference and weather/ traffic, with no add-on cost but the IPad/IFly/ whatever, and the chart subscription.

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:07 am 

Correct...iFLY GPS is not needed . It is just one of many GPS Nav units that will work with the UAvionix ADS-B . . Go to the site and it will tell you what units are compatible . Yes it is 2020 legal .

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:16 pm 

John...the government can't even find Jimmy Hoffa ! :P How in the name of Holy Batman are they going to find me ! ??? I can take a few pics of the install, but it won't amount to much . One + wire from the instrument panel to the unit , mounting the Echo unit with 4 screws behind the baggage compartment , drilling (2) holes . One for the GPS antenna/receiver on the aft deck and one for the UAT antenna on the bottom of the AC . ::) Stayed tuned...same time , same Bat channel ! 8)

RB O0

Profile Personal album