Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Ryan Allen
 Post subject: new panel
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:01 pm 

I just put in my second panel. I think it looks better than my first iteration. I forgot how much work it is to replace a panel....this one may stay a while
Attachment:
panel.jpg
panel.jpg [ 587.52 KiB | Viewed 9429 times ]

Profile Personal album  

dan
 Post subject: Re: new panel
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:00 pm 

Looks Great!!!!! Dan

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:56 pm 

Nice job ! 8) It is difficult to plan any panel now ( IMHO ) when you have such a wide variety of options from "Steam" to EFIS or a combo ! ??? When I started planning my panel back in the stone age the cost of any EFIS equipment was more than the cost of the entire AC ! :o I made a paper template ( in fact several templates ) and taped it to the uncut instrument panel with instrument placements drawn on the paper . The most important consideration was could I reach all the "important" stuff from the left seat along with placing the usual steam gauges in the proper place . The only "EFIS" type equipment I have is my I Fly 720 GPS and the Gemini PFD . :o BOOM !

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

fytrplt
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:55 am 

Looks good and functional. One thing to remember if you are a long legged type: avoid anything below W.L. 42 (the longeron stringer), tends to hit your knees on entry and exit.

KLAL

Profile Personal album  

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:02 am 

The paper template idea is great, I used it on both panels. I have an IFLY 700 which I really like, but I have to keep it in my pax seat so I can get it out of the sun. Its tough to see in any direct sunlight. One thing on this panel that I like is that the circuit breakers are stationary and do not rotate down with the rest of the panel. On the other panel, I never could figure out a way to get a service loop in the 4awg (I think) wire that fed my buss bar. So even though I had a hinged panel, the fat wire kept me from being able to use the hinged application. Lucky for me, I'm only about 5'8", so the circuit breakers do not affect my leg room.

Profile Personal album  

dan
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:04 am 

Boy I agree with you on that Bob, I kept everything pretty much above waterline 42 for space to get in and out, its a good thing I did as the years go by I need all the room I can get to crawl in and out that's for sure. I am able to move my feet in behind the rudder pedals, this way I can stretch out whilst cruising. Dan

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:18 pm 

27 I mounted my 720 on the dash using the pivot/suction cup that came with the unit. Cut off the suction cup and shortened the arm and made a bracket to attach it to the panel . I also bought the "SUN SHADE" that Velcro's to the 720 . Although not perfect it does shield the unit from most of the sun . I think any glass panel or GPS will have "Sun" problems when it comes to readability . I also used a DIN plug so the unit hot wires to the panel and I get 12 volts to the 720 and GPS input for the Gemini PFD and TruTrak autopilot . ;) I like the idea of having the GPS at almost eye level so I can still scan outside and not have to look down to see the GPS or make changes . Still can not figure out how to post photos from the Gallery ? All I get is the X in the box and a number ? I do "hit" the insert image into the post below the photo .

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:05 am 

Rich, if its any consolation, I cant figure out how to post pictures from the gallery either. I add an image to my post by getting the picture from my computer rather than my gallery on the Thorp website. I tried doing it the way you said and I got the "X" as well.

Here is how I do it:
1. I select "full editor" when I get ready to reply to a post
2. I scroll down to "browse" and get a picture from my computer
3. I click "place inline" (just under my pending post) once I have my cursor where I want my picture

Attachment:
panel.jpg
panel.jpg [ 587.52 KiB | Viewed 9313 times ]

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:42 pm 

I do the posting from the computer also , but would really like to use the gallery pics as some of those are not on my computer anymore . ???

RB O0

Profile Personal album