Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

dan
 Post subject: Trio altitude hold
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:51 am 

Is there anyone who has a Trio Altitude hold, if so, how do you like it? Dan

Rich Brazell
 Post subject: Re: Trio altitude hold
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:58 pm 

Dan: They have their factory right here at KSEE . I am sure they would love to give you and Gloria the 5 Star tour ! You can bunk at our place . BATA BING , BATA BOOM ! They might even have "rebuilt" units for sale at a discount ? Not sure , just a thought . :)

RB O:-)

Profile Personal album  

dan
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:40 pm 

I have been tryin to get down to your place for some time now Rich, and you don't know how Gloria and I appreciate the offer! and we will take you up on it.I would like to see the trio operation and chat with them about their Autopilots. I believe the altitude hold would be the ticket for me, I'm gettin as bad as Ira about gadgets ..........Dan

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:05 pm 

Dan : Be very careful about the gadgets ! It is an easy pit to fall into ! Doing my annual now and had to tilt out the panel to remove the Tru Trak Gemini PFD as the display failed . Tru Trak repaired it at no cost , but still a pain to R & R . While the panel was tilted I removed the Tru Trak autopilot head as it has never been up to my standards as to altitude hold . They tested the unit and in the end sent me another control head which will need to be tested during the next maint. check flight after the annual . I also saw an upgraded Microair M760 radio on E-Bay that had 2 new revisions including a dual freq. monitoring feature that is like having 2 radios in one . Bought the radio and installed it and the mic was always hot . After hours of trouble shooting it was a mic gain adjustment that was the problem. Then there was the RAC LED trim indicator that went TU . Drove up to Vista, CA and they were very understanding about the indicator and replaced it for free! Still a pain to R & R . Then there was the Infinity Aerospace stick grip that had a faulty "Coolie Hat " trim switch that I had to replace . The good News here is Infinity is also located at KSEE , so I could drive and pick up the parts ! I am getting very good at soldering ! :)

After my second annual on the AC I was hoping that all I had to do was inspect and "lube ?" This being my 3rd annual it has become a PITA to R & R the electronic stuff ! My wiring has been spot on , it is the "Black Boxes" that have been the problem . :o

Bottom line...the more Crap you add to the panel the more you will have to pull it to R & R various components . The KISS system is always the best for VFR aircraft . If I had to do over I would just keep the P/S instruments along with the electric gyros and a panel GPS ! BOOM !

Tired in Jamul ! ???

RB O:-)

Profile Personal album  

dan
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:42 am 

That is sure something to think about that's for sure, seems a Mr. Steve Hawley told me at one time" If your not going to use it on a regular basis, don't carry the weight". I do believe this is a good philosophy for the VFR bird. In 5 years I have added one Item, the I-Pad, but I don't take it with me all the time, I still use my ole Lowrance 2000c that I started with, the altitude hold will be my first gadget!! I have even debated about putting it in. No that's not right, I installed elec aileron trim right before paint or there abouts and I guess that will be considered a gaget by some. The keep it simple system has many advantages, not only that Im not a flexable as I used to be so crawling around in the cockpit beats me up pretty good...guess Im getting old......Dan

stevehawley
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:41 am 

Dan and Rich, enjoy reading your posts. Read them every day but don't contribute much. Rich, thanks for being so honest about "gadgets" and their true cost. Sure looking forward to spring. Plan on making the Alabama gathering. Wish you could Dan. I might try to get out to Visalia next time. Have family and friends close by.
Steve Hawley

dan
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:33 pm 

Hi Steve, Good to hear from you! I still owe you a ride and Im am lookin for you to take me up on it. Hope the wife and family are doing well.........Dan