Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

bcabebe
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:36 am 

I bought a Nexus 7 (2013 edition, 16 GB) just before Christmas. It has Wifi, GPS and motion sensors built in. I didn't need cellular capability because I have an iPhone (with ForeFlight). I also have a Garmin GPSMap 496 as my primary GPS.

I've used Naviator (free trial) a little bit and it works well. It's my second favorite at the moment. A few other pilots near me like it's rubber-band flight plan creation feature. I have no real complaints about it.

For what it's worth, I've tried these other moving map apps:
Avare (free, open source)
AvNav EFB (free)
FlightAssistant Beta(free)
Garmin Pilot (monthly/yearly subscription)

Each one has it's good points and bad. I've only been playing with these apps for a month, but so far I like Avare the best. It doesn't have rubber-band flight planning, but I mostly fly local and don't need the flight plan feature. Avare has one feature that none of the others do, you can do a long press on the screen and get a distance and bearing to that location (from your current position), without doing a Direct To or adding to the flight plan. Avare is open source and it's constantly being worked on/updated. It has a fairly active user community (i.e. forum) for bug reports and requests.

I favor the free apps, so AvNav is my third choice. FlightAssistant Beta has two problems. One is that you have to create your own maps from open source maps. It's doable and not that hard, but kind of a pain in the rear. I also find it hard to get airport info (comm freq, runway info, etc.) I know it's on the Sectional chart, but I like seeing the larger, digital version of the information.

Garmin Pilot works well, I'd say on par with ForeFlight. I have a ForeFlight subscription until Oct, and may end up switching to Garmin Pilot at that time.

I picked the Nexus 7 because it had good reviews for screen brightness and resolution, which I'll confirm. Also, it was on sale for $200 (from $230) at the time. It's thin and light weight. Now I just have to figure out how to mount it in my cockpit somehow.

-Brian

Profile Personal album  

Tim Brown
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:49 pm 

I appreciate all the opinions...so far I have not checked out...

Avare (free, open source)
AvNav EFB (free)
FlightAssistant Beta(free)

... I didn't know they existed :)

A quick look at Avare is not very encouraging for Cdn content but I will look further. Since most if not all my flying is in Canada and VFR most of the US centric apps are of no use..

... I'm now looking for a reasonable price,

Cdn prices are always higher :(

on a new Nexus 7... I am not an iPad person so that's out asthey are very spendy in Canada.

Thanks again

Profile Personal album  

Tim Brown
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:40 am 

Well... I pulled out the AH and DG and saved about 8 pounds for the effort. I have the Nexus 7 mounted in the place and LOVE it.
I have been flying with it and find it (with a few minor issues) to be exactly what I was looking for and for us Canuks a hell of a value at $14.95 (lifetime subscription)... I don't get or need approach plates TFR or other info included in the monthly subscription and the Canadian content is up to date.
A neat feature just added is the Naviator Hangar (see the website) where flights can be uploaded and shared...I have been talking up the T18 so have a look... (kenora on Naviator)

YES... I fixed the anti-glare film after the flight.. and thats 130 kts TAS at 2100 RPM and 21 in MP.

Profile Personal album