Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Tim Brown
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:06 pm 

I downloaded the app with a 30 day free demo for my Samsung S3 phone.... to say the least I am amazed at what it can do (even on my little phone).... I am considering getting a Samsung 8" tablet and running the program on that...

I can remove my DG, AH, Turn Co-coordinator and save about 15 lbs on the panel while gaining a BIG SEXY display....

at least I think I can.

Any thoughts and anyone using this program.... I currently have the BendixKing AV8OR and am very unhappy with it... the screen is small and the updates have caused it to crash numerous times; customer support is almost non-existent.

The NAVIATOR is going to set me back $14.95 (yup) since I don't need the subscription for TFRs, Approach plates etc for the US.

http://www.naviatorapp.com/

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:28 pm 

IFly 720 or the IFly 520 as a back up . Very easy to use . Great support . They have walked me thru a few minor issues , most of them caused by operator error ! ??? I use the IFly 720 as a primary NAV unit and carry the small IFly 520 as a back up as it has an internal battery . ;)

RB O:-)

Profile Personal album  

Bill Williams
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:38 pm 
Bob and I just starting using the Naviator program as our Flightsoft program has been discontinued. I, we are still learning the ins and outs. It appears to be a good program using Android software. A downside is it's not user friendly to flight plan a trip. The charts are copies and not digital with gives a fuzzy image when enlarged. I'm currently using a Samsung 7" tab which appears to have a brighter screen than the 10". Bob can comment on the 10" Tablet. I do use a bluetooth GPS in conjunction with the tablet. Another plus is you can download a "basemap" and get rid of all the clutter of a VFR chart.
I also have a Garmin 300XL panel mount as primary and use the tablet as reference.

chuck
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:21 pm 

Tim,

I used the Naviator App on my Android phone to fly to the 2012 Thorp flyin in Fredericksburg, Tx (from Maine) and it performed very well. I enjoyed the display and information provided much better than my Garmin. That being said, I did ultimately go with an IPAD and Foreflight; a decision and conversation/debate for another thread.

KIWI

Profile Personal album  

lance38dt
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:54 am 

jeppesen mobile flight deck vfr ipad mini with bad elf works great nice colors also has 30 day free trial

Profile Personal album  

bmooresbm
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:23 pm 

I had a 7" Samsung tablet for a few years. I tried the naviator app a couple of times. I never really liked the user interface. I stuck with the avilution app. It is easy to use and never crashed on me a single time.

With that said I got an ipad mini for Christmas and tossed the android tablet. Apple os just has better apps for aviation users.

Profile Personal album  

Hoov330
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:48 pm 

So thinking on purchasing a IPAD, do I have to have cell and wi-fi to run any or all of the navigation programs?

lance38dt
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:35 pm 

cell and wi fi are not needed, maps are resident to run, however some items such as weather notems and the like wont work but gps mapping and other info to get you where you want to go works great

Profile Personal album  

jrevens
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:55 pm 

Hoov330 wrote:
So thinking on purchasing a IPAD, do I have to have cell and wi-fi to run any or all of the navigation programs?

FWIW - If you want GPS built into the iPad, you have to buy one with both wi-fi & cellular. You can use an external GPS unit such as BadElf, etc., but the built in GPS with the cellular capable iPad works very well & is very convenient. You don't have to activate a cell plan, but the cell/wi-fi models are the only way to get an iPad with GPS built in. GPS is needed to utilize Foreflight & some other program fully... you'll want it one way or the other. I've been an Android guy, but I have a new iPad mini that works great... I love it!

T-18 N71JE (sold)
Kitfox 7 SS N27JE

Hoov330
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:33 am 

Ahhhh theres what I was looking for, So I think I will go with the Mini with Retna display since there is a huge difference in pixels and throw on bad elf. What flight software do you prefer. Also look Fwd to seeing you again over in Utah, My dad still talks about his flight with you to Herber City.....Remember that !!

chuck
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:48 am 

I have an IPAD with an internal GPS/cellular/WIFI. Check your cell phone capabilities. My cell includes a hotspot option and therefore can create my own WIFI signal and thus avoid paying for an IPAD cell plan.

Thers an argument out there that one should still have a Bad Elf type external GPS due to the internal IPAD gps dropping the signal. I've not had that problem.

To help decide on which program to use I Googled WingX vs Garmin vs Foreflight and found this comparison, (among others): http://ipadpilotnews.com/2013/08/naviga ... n-round-2/. I tried several of the options and went with Foreflight.

KIWI

Profile Personal album  

Bill Williams
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:28 am 
I use a Galaxy 7" tab with built in GPS, when making tight turns it will loose position. Thus I also use a bluetooth GPS that I found on Ebay for 25 bucks and about half the size of a pack of cigarettes.

Jim Mantyla
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:34 pm 

I use an iFly 720 and have no issues to date. It's easy to use, see and is a good size for my panel.

Jim

jrevens
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:59 pm 

chuck wrote:
I have an IPAD with an internal GPS/cellular/WIFI. Check your cell phone capabilities. My cell includes a hotspot option and therefore can create my own WIFI signal and thus avoid paying for an IPAD cell plan.

Thers an argument out there that one should still have a Bad Elf type external GPS due to the internal IPAD gps dropping the signal. I've not had that problem.

To help decide on which program to use I Googled WingX vs Garmin vs Foreflight and found this comparison, (among others): http://ipadpilotnews.com/2013/08/naviga ... n-round-2/. I tried several of the options and went with Foreflight.

My iPad Mini is a new Retna display mod. with GPS/cell/wifi also. The people at Foreflight recommended the built-in GPS to me. I think it may have been improved in the new models - don't know, but it seems to work very well in my airplane. I haven't activated a cellular data plan either... You don't have to, & wifi works well. I like Foreflight too, Chuck.

T-18 N71JE (sold)
Kitfox 7 SS N27JE

jrevens
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:10 am 

Hoov330 wrote:
Ahhhh theres what I was looking for, So I think I will go with the Mini with Retna display since there is a huge difference in pixels and throw on bad elf. What flight software do you prefer. Also look Fwd to seeing you again over in Utah, My dad still talks about his flight with you to Herber City.....Remember that !!

Yep, that was a fun gathering (thanks for doing that one, Fraser!)... It was good - your dad made the trip more fun for me! Thanks for remembering.

T-18 N71JE (sold)
Kitfox 7 SS N27JE