Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Ryan Allen
 Post subject: Auto Pilot Installation
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:16 am 

For those of you with autopilots installed, where did you mount your servos? I am considering the Dynon autopilot 2 axis AP system. Any thoughts/suggestions regarding autopilot installation would be appreciated.

Profile Personal album  

irapilot
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:14 am 

Hello Ryan, I installed my dynon servos as such: the roll servo is mounted in the passenger side under the seat in baggage area, servo arm is connected via a push-pull tube with heim joints on each end.The pitch servo is mounted on the side of aileron tube tunnel just behind passenger seat bulkhead, the roll servo is the easiest to install.I will try to upload pics. I hope this helps. Ira

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:00 am 

Ira, I truly appreciate you speaking up! that helps tremendously. I am really looking forward to your installation pictures. The more the merrier!

Profile Personal album  

dan
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:57 pm 

Let's finish the story here, Ryan, this auto pilot is flawless, Ira installed these servos and the head for this auto pilot and it worked flawlessly right from the get go. It is extremely accurate, it holds the line, and attitude just as it should. No hiccups,no glitches and no troubles at all, I am positive you will really like this unit.......Dan

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:41 pm 

Dan, I completely agree with you. And on top of that, the two servos and the controlling unit is $1,950. Try and get an autopilot installed in a certified plane for that!!

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:26 pm 

Put my Tru Trak servos in the following locations . Roll...under the co-pilots seat attached to the forward bulk head right hand side . Servo arm attached to the push pull tube from the walking beam using a "short" piece of 3/4" 2024 alum tube with Fafnir fittings on both ends . The pitch servo was mounted also on the co-pilots side aft rear bulk head next to the elevator push pull tube. Again a "short" piece of 3/4" 2024 tube with Fafnir fittings on both ends . You want the servos on both sides of the AC to keep the wiring harness simple . :o POW !

RB O:-)

Profile Personal album  

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:12 pm 

Rich Brazell wrote:
Put my Tru Trak servos in the following locations . Roll...under the co-pilots seat attached to the forward bulk head right hand side . Servo arm attached to the push pull tube from the walking beam using a "short" piece of 3/4" 2024 alum tube with Fafnir fittings on both ends . The pitch servo was mounted also on the co-pilots side aft rear bulk head next to the elevator push pull tube. Again a "short" piece of 3/4" 2024 tube with Fafnir fittings on both ends . You want the servos on both sides of the AC to keep the wiring harness simple . :o POW !

RB O:-)

good info and even better tip about the wiring harness Rich, thanks.

Profile Personal album