Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Rv3maker
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:57 pm 

I am building my inner wing and I am at the point of getting the RH side ready to rivet on the skin. Question to builders regarding rib feedthroughs:
- where is the best rib location to route the pitot probe tubing through? Where have you routed it and any lessons learned or changes you would make - especially in relationship to folding the wings?
- where is the best rib location to run wiring through (wingtip lights, trim servos etc)?
- where is the best place you found to transition from inner wing to fuselage and routing (assume to instrument panel area)?

I was thinking about just putting 1-2 piece of low friction teflon tubing (1/2"?) through the ribs at an aft and forward rib location through rubber grommets as I do not know exactly what wires etc I will have for certain. That way the tubes are there . . . can ident and run tubing/wires through later through the provisioned tubes already installed.

Any advise, lessons learned, recommendations or "DO NOT" suggestions would be appreciated! PICTURES PLEASE!

Rob

Profile Personal album  

Hagle347
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:03 pm 

Hey rob, Good Questions on all the points. it's always easier to copy a good idea that come up with your own.

Wing wiring - Figure how many wires you really need. What is out in the outer panel. Mine? Nav Lights, Landing lights, and an aileron trim servo. I used a common ground at each , but with low draw on LED had an issue and would suggest running a ground back to at least the center section of the wing.
Location. - My S wing had 1/2 irrigation funny pipe in the aft 4 inches of the wing. That's plenty of space for the wires required. And since thats where the outer panel pivots - also a good place for pitot lines.
For transition from outer panel to fuselage- The S wing I built, the wires came into the fuselage ahead of the rear spar attach, under the seat, into the tunnel forward to just ahead of the spar and then under the passengers seat as the wires reach the back of the panel. On my current T- the wires are ahead of the front spar - enter the fuselage at mid point between the wing spar and nose of the wing. Then its up the side of the fuselage to the panel. That's also using molex connectors to join the harnesses.
At one point I had posted photos in the thread 66WT coming back - But many of the earlier photos have been corrupted on this site for unknown reasons.
Hope this helps.

Terry
N66WT
N218TH -

Profile Personal album  

fytrplt
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:10 am 

Pitot and static tubes come through just ahead of main spar so you can get at them to disconnect in when the cuff is removed. Wiring just ahead of rear spar in my case because of wet wing.

KLAL

Profile Personal album  

Rv3maker
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:20 pm 

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like if you run the pitot line up front ahead of the spare or just aft of it, one could run it back towards the trailing edge near the pivot tube area and not have to disconnect it when folding the wing.

Here are a few pics I have found searching some projects and posts. If you want everything to pivot with the wing then routing them along the outboard wing inner rib would be the best option?

Bob, agree that if you want to disconnect it, having it up front towards the main spar would make it easy once the cover rib is removed.

Rob

Profile Personal album  

James Grahn
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:47 pm 

You are going to want quick disconnects on anything you can. You may think you will never disconnect the wing, only fold it, but you will eventually remove the wing panels.
Cubes

Profile Personal album  

Rv3maker
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:21 am 

Here is a pic I found for bringing wires/pitot line in from left wing and routing to panel. Stealing from other posts/project pics but thought it would be helpful to have in this post.

Pictures say a 1000 words . . . .

Noted that a union or QD would be needed at folding wing joint to be able to remove the outer wing panels.

Rob

Profile Personal album