Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Rich Brazell
 Post subject: Building the T-18C wing
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:38 pm 

Chris...there is actually a 10 page "manual" that came with my Wide body Plans intitled, "INTRODUCTION BUILDING THE T-18C WING, written by Lu Sunderland. [:0] It may be included in some of the early NL's ? I suggest some research of the old NL's. Detailed pics of the folding wing area are your best friend and are the key to understanding the drawings. [;)] Your second best friend is knowing someone with a folding wing that you can inspect and take photos of.

RB

Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album  

Hal Underwood
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:01 am 

I have the standard S-18 wing foil on my trigear. IO-360, Hartzell CS. Flies great, fun to fly. However, I envy those reporting an honest 200 mph max as I have only been able to get 180, I suppose partly because of the nose gear and no special mods for cleaning up drag. I have been led to understand however, that the main difference is the later developed airfoil which I understand Lyle Trusty participated in designing for better performance on the higher HP engines that are commonly used now as opposed to the early Ts. I believe Tom Hunter knows all about that and I can vouch for his ease at showing 200 on his GPS reading, when he was kind enough to give me a ride. So - if I had it to do over I would use that wing foil. Hal Underwood

Last edited by admin on Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

leewwalton
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:19 am 
Administrator
Administrator

In the two videos I posted (200mph T-18's) one was a standard T-18 with the original laminar flow wing and the other was a T-18C with the convertible wing and the LS airfoil. You certainly don't need the Trusty wing to go 200 mph +.

From what I understand the Trusty wings airfoil is a plus but the biggest divergence from the original wing is the leading edge strake with effectively reduces the angle of incidence of the wing. The feeling there was that the incidence per plans assumed that the T-18 was a slower 0-290 airplane. There have been builders who planned ahead out there and built their airplanes with the wing (rear spar) raised up a bit as well.

Guess my point is, I bet you can get 200 out of your airplane Hal, just look around and see where you can clean her up.

KEFD

Last edited by admin on Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album  

BobMoe
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:36 am 

I have a pic of the Trusty inner wing with the strake ribs mounted. I took this in 2007 at Mike's shop.

Image Insert:

PS: Lee, check's in the mail

BobMO

Last edited by admin on Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album  

cw21f
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:39 am 

Hal, I am interested to learn more about your experience with your nose-gear Thorp. Is this a CSA engineered modification or of your own design? Are you happy with the result? Thanks, Chris

Last edited by admin on Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hal Underwood
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:32 am 

Hi Chris- I bought my nose and main gear kit from Mike Archer,(Classic Sport Aircraft) in Porterville, Ca (S18thorp@lightspeed.net 559-539-2755) and installed it as a retrofit. It would, of course, have been much easier with initial construction. It is my understanding that he worked with a local aircraft engineer to design it. I'm blocking on his name, but think he moved to Tx. I haven't talked with Mike for a while, but hear that he is closing his business. He might have some kits left and would respond to questions during installation. I have lots of pics of the construction. Mine was the first after his prototype and I think a post would get the experience of several others who have installed it. Lands very smoothly, softly, easily controlled. Mike made an early unplanned test of the gear at a flyin (maybe Arlingotn). I'm fuzzy on some details but think they were landing short and long,same rnwy to accomodate heavy incoming. Trying to comply with tower, he stalled on a sharp bank to final but managed to pancake level. Some of the gear collapsed, but he and Frankie walked away uninjured. He doubts he would have been that lucky in a dragger tho I presume some might disagree. My phone is 661-945-5956 halcarol@verizon.net and would be happy to give more details. Hal

Last edited by admin on Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

TWMUNDELLJR
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:02 pm 

HI CHRIS; JUST WANTED TO THROW IN MY 3 CENTS ON THE NOSE GEAR. I FLEW MIKE ARCHERS S-18 AND THAT IS WHAT CONVINCED ME THAT I WANTED TO HAVE A THORP OF MY OWN. THE NOSE GEAR IS REALLY A PLUS IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE TAIL DRAGGER EXPERIENCE. MIKE AND FRANKIES S-18 TRI-GEAR IS A REALLY NICE FLYING AIRCRAFT AND THE LANDINGS ARE SWEET TO SAY THE LEAST. I ENDED UP BUYING A T-18 WITH THE FOLDING WING AND THE DAY MAY COME THAT I MIGHT WANT A NOSE WHEEL, BUT RIGHT NOW I PREFER MY TAIL DRAGGER.
YOU CAN CONTACT MIKE AT THE NUMBERS ANE E-MAIL THAT HAL LEFT. I TALK WITH MIKE OFTEN AND HE DOES HAVE THE BUSINESS FOR SALE. BUT THAT SAID, MIKE AND FRANKIE LOVE THEER NOSE WHEEL CONVERSION AND I THINK YOU WOULD LIKE IT TOO!!

TED W. MUNDELL JR. N18NH

Last edited by admin on Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leewwalton
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:41 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Before any rumors get started Mike is not closing his business, he's looking for buyers as he would like to retire. CSA is still available to answer calls and take orders.

KEFD

Last edited by admin on Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album