Thorp T-18 Mutual Aid Society
Thorp T-18 Mutual Aid Society
Home | | Active Topics | ThorpList Format | Photo Album | View Photos by Member | File Library | Members | Member Map | Active Thorps Map | Search

NOTE: This site is no longer in use and is operating for reference only.
The Thorp community is now supported at the "Thorp Forum".

All Forums
 Thorp T-18
 Cowlings
 Ratray
Author  Topic Next Topic  

cgifly2

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  23:48:59  Show Profile  Reply
Am doing a rebuild on 7077J it had 160TT and I could not live with it any more. Has a 0320 a2d which I love cause I can run street gas in it (cheap) and is not IFR equipped (dont need that) so it is light and performs well on 150HP. But my question is seeing a few comments against Ratray cowlings I was wondering why? And dont just say there crap! Cause you cant verify that by me. I did fly with mine for 160 hours and found no problems with it. I could get the bottom off with out pulling the prop, and I actually like the looks. But I am open to discussion about pros and cons as I am doing a complete rebuild. So lets here it. Please be objective no bias on just what you THINK is best. And thanks for considering.
Skeet

fytrplt

USA
182 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2011 :  05:43:48  Show Profile  Reply
Skeet,

Welcome back! The main argument against the Ratray cowl is that they were said to be heavy. My Herb Shable (sp?) fiberglas cowl weighs about 17 lbs., while my aluminum one weighs about 16 lbs. Also, some object to the glass on aluminum fairings on the boot cowl. As many of us know, Geogre Ratray was a boat buider and did much to introduce fiberglas to the world of aircraft.

Being experimental, run what YOU like. Keep us posted on the progress.

Bob Highley
N711SH
SN 835
KLAL
Go to Top of Page

cgifly2

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2011 :  23:19:50  Show Profile  Reply
Thanks for the welcome. Thats fair enough, I have the glass on aluminum covered as I made my own boot out of glass and glassed it in. And the weight thing, Hmmm will have to weight it and see, but somehow I dont think I have a typical one as its not sprayed in glass. Its all a lay up and quality looks good. But I have not weighed it yet will see.
Skeet
Go to Top of Page

hurant

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2011 :  07:21:44  Show Profile  Reply
I weighed my Rattray cowling and wheel pants a while back and didn't consider them heavy. I did have trouble getting the bottom half off until I modified it by cutting off the lower half sides and hinging them to the top half, That gave me access to the accessory section and bottom of the engine.
The cowl weighs less than 20 pounds, not counting the side fairing, but includes the aluminum hinges and stiffeners I added to the access panels and the automatic heat vents in the top half.
Go to Top of Page

james peran

Australia
6 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2011 :  16:12:55  Show Profile  Reply
Hurant.can we have some pic,s please.
Interested how you modifyed the cowling.
At the moment i got Rattray as well.
J.P.
Go to Top of Page

hurant

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2011 :  23:29:25  Show Profile  Reply
I sent a picture with an explanation on the modification I made to my Rattray cowl as a reply to the posting request as I couldn't get the photo attached to this forum message. I hope it went through.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
Thorp T-18 Mutual Aid Society © 2011 T18.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000