Thorp T-18 Mutual Aid Society
Thorp T-18 Mutual Aid Society
Home | | Active Topics | ThorpList Format | Photo Album | View Photos by Member | File Library | Members | Member Map | Active Thorps Map | Search

NOTE: This site is no longer in use and is operating for reference only.
The Thorp community is now supported at the "Thorp Forum".

All Forums
 Technical Info
 Electrical
 Alternator
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Bill Williams

USA
336 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2011 :  04:08:05  Show Profile  Reply
As most that attended Kentucky Dam know, Bob spent most of the time on the gound trying to fix/locate an replacement alternator. Guess what, I had the info on my hard drive all the time, so I thought I would share the info.
It is a Nipon-Denso alternator
Autozone/Advanced Auto part number 14184 or Beck Arnley 186-100
The regulator is a Ford solid state F7078, several regulators can be adapted. This alternator comes in several different amperage output, from 35 to 95 amps.
I might add that Mark Landoll that used to sell this setup has retired.

Edited by - Bill Williams on 10/16/2011 04:10:03

fytrplt

USA
182 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2011 :  05:29:39  Show Profile  Reply
Adding to Bill's post: The alternator comes off of a late 70's Honda Civic and was used in various amperages. The most common seems to be the 35 amp version. On a related subject, I made it home with the battery by shutting down all but the essential equipment.

I replaced the battery when I got home. To my amazement, my battery had been in service for 7 1/2 years! Of course when I went to the battery store, I was informed that they don't make that battery any more. I fact, all batteries of that type are now made in China.

The closest match I found was the Interstate DCM0035. It is a sealed, air transportable AGM Deep Cycle 35 AH mobility scooter unit. AGM means that the plates are separated by a fiber glass mat. This is what allows the battery to be repeatedly charged and discharged without failure. This battery does not need to be boxed or vented which makes it ideal for our use.

Bob Highley
N711SH
SN 835
KLAL

Edited by - admin on 11/07/2011 11:00:00
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
Thorp T-18 Mutual Aid Society © 2011 T18.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.02 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000