Thorp T-18 Mutual Aid Society
Thorp T-18 Mutual Aid Society
Home | | Active Topics | ThorpList Format | Photo Album | View Photos by Member | File Library | Members | Member Map | Active Thorps Map | Search

NOTE: This site is no longer in use and is operating for reference only.
The Thorp community is now supported at the "Thorp Forum".

All Forums
 Other Stuff
 Interested in a Thorp?
 Whaddaya Think?
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mnovotney

USA
0 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2010 :  09:57:34  Show Profile  Reply
Greetings,

I am a 29 year old gyroplane pilot w/ a fresh FW PPL. I have been flying for 6 years and 500+ hours in gyroplanes and 50 or so hours in FW including a couple in a Citabria (no TW endorsement). I want to purchase my own plane that can take my wife and I to see family around the Midwest and also just pleasure fly. I looked at RV's and similar higher performance taildraggers and want to know how much of a handful are the Thorps to transition in to? I fly a very high performance gyroplane and fly what can be considered aerobatics for the aircraft. We have the same hype in our community that says you can't fly a certain gyro or its not a beginner gyro and it all depends on your natural ability and most of the time it just means it takes a little more training to do.... My question are:

Is the Thorp too much of an airplane for your first plane? (I ask because i would rather not buy a slow docile dog of a plane to learn in knowing its not what I would like to fly)

How long is an expected transition training course for a Thorp owner?

BTW check out how us fling wings like to fly here:
(this is me and my previous and current machine) A real flying lawnchair!

and

Edited by - mnovotney on 10/03/2010 10:00:40

leewwalton

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  08:18:03  Show Profile  Send leewwalton a Yahoo! Message  Reply
There have been several people out there who transitioned into the Thorp early in their flying experience. Even some who did their flight training in Thorps.

I can think of one guy right now who owns a T-18 and still has his student certificate. In fact I've flown with him and he does a fine job flying the airplane.

The T-18 is not a squirrely airplane at all. It's as honest an airplane as you will find, things just happen a little faster at times.

You have 500+ hours of flying experince ... regardless of what it's in that says alot. I should think you'll find the T-18 a breeze.

Lee Walton
Houston, TX
N589LW,N51863
KDWH

Edited by - admin on 11/07/2011 11:00:00
Go to Top of Page

Fraser MacPhee

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  09:02:18  Show Profile  Reply
There are two thoughts that always come to mind when talking to people about transitioning to a T-18.

1. If I can do it, any able bodied, level headed knucklehead can. (150 hr tri gear renter pilot prior to T-18)
2. Everyone learns at a different pace with different capabilities, egos, and levels of common sense.

Only you know your true abilities.

Fraser MacPhee
N633PM
Draper, UT

Go to Top of Page

Rich Brazell

USA
911 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  12:31:49  Show Profile  Reply
I got to get me one of them there knucklehead ratings !

RB

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
Thorp T-18 Mutual Aid Society © 2011 T18.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000