Thorp T-18 Mutual Aid Society
Thorp T-18 Mutual Aid Society
Home | | Active Topics | ThorpList Format | Photo Album | View Photos by Member | File Library | Members | Member Map | Active Thorps Map | Search

NOTE: This site is no longer in use and is operating for reference only.
The Thorp community is now supported at the "Thorp Forum".

All Forums
 Thorp T-18
 Canopy
 Canopy
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rich Brazell

USA
911 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  20:33:30  Show Profile
There have been several write-ups about canopy installation over the years in the NL. I believe I posted one about my experience with a canopy that cracked during the cutting process? As far as a material list...not quite sure what you are requesting? The plans spell out just about everything you need as far as a material list.

Cutting the glass will depend on who you talk to. Most I think use a cut off wheel ( die grinder type or dremmel ). I have even heard of some using a band saw for cutting the windshield! I believe Airplane Plastics has a write-up (it may have also appeared in a past NL?) on the care and feed of your plexiglas windshield and canopy. It explains in detail how to drill and cut the glass. AC43-13 also explains how to drill holes in plexiglas and it recommends a Unibit. This is what I used ( only a dull one to reduce the grab tendancy ). I also drilled a pilot hole with a dull #40 drill using a low RPM cordless drill (about 500 RPM). Drilled all the holes with no problem. The Unibit was nice in that it deburred the edges and left a slightly rounded edge on the hole.

RB
NX115RX

fytrplt

USA
182 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  05:10:13  Show Profile
I have just completed the job of replacing my windshield in 711SH. I waited 'til the temp was above 70 degrees and cut it with a bandsaw. I used a new Sears 14 tooth blade for metal cutting. Then I used a belt sander to smooth the edges followed by scraping it to a polised edge with a box cutter blade. I used a cordless grill for the initial holes followed by a step drill. The final holes are about 3/8" to allow the glass to float. I left the plastic film on the glass until the final installation to keep from scratching it.

Bob Highley
N711SH
SN 835
KLAL
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
Thorp T-18 Mutual Aid Society © 2011 T18.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000