Thorp T-18 Mutual Aid Society
Thorp T-18 Mutual Aid Society
Home | | Active Topics | ThorpList Format | Photo Album | View Photos by Member | File Library | Members | Member Map | Active Thorps Map | Search

NOTE: This site is no longer in use and is operating for reference only.
The Thorp community is now supported at the "Thorp Forum".

All Forums
 Thorp T-211
 Thorp T-211
 211 on sale on Trade-a-Plane
Author  Topic   

Ryan Allen

USA
150 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2009 :  15:51:36  Show Profile
Anyone seen the 211 for sale on Trade-a-plane? Whats the deal on the "factory smooth" wings?

I like the idea of flying with with the canopy open but I've never done it.

leewwalton

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2009 :  18:51:56  Show Profile  Send leewwalton a Yahoo! Message
They offered smooth wings and internal ribs on the experimental kit version of the T-211 (for aesthetic reasons).

Lee Walton
Houston, TX
N589LW,N51863
KDWH
Go to Top of Page

Bill Williams

USA
336 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2009 :  19:38:08  Show Profile
I flew a open cockpit Skybolt to Oshkosh twice. It had a full canopy the third year, like riding a motorcycle at a 135 MPH without goggles. It's fun for the first time and gets old as the day goes by.
Go to Top of Page

Rich Brazell

USA
911 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2009 :  19:58:41  Show Profile
How was the noise level?

RB
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Williams

I flew a open cockpit Skybolt to Oshkosh twice. It had a full canopy the third year, like riding a motorcycle at a 135 MPH without goggles. It's fun for the first time and gets old as the day goes by.

Go to Top of Page

Bill Williams

USA
336 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2009 :  20:26:44  Show Profile
Noise level, HUH? can't hear you. With the DC headsets is was bearable, that was in 1983. It sure would have been nice to have he DNC headsets. FYI; Pacific Coast Avionics has their $249 headsets on sale for $229. These are made by Lightspeed.
Go to Top of Page

Tom

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2010 :  19:19:00  Show Profile  Visit Tom's Homepage
You could fly the Scooter (T211) with the canopy all the way back, but it was awfully noisy and windy. Also cut down on performance quite a bit. The bubble canopy made for a pretty hot ride when the sun was out, so I used to routinely fly it with the canopy cracked open about 2 or 3 inches. There was a spot right in there where the canopy would stay in place. It made for a lot cooler ride. It was a noisy little bird in any event as the exhaust dumped out of the side right below the leading edge, and real close to your ear! Haven't heard real well out of my left ear every since flying the scooters for about 500 hours over a five year period!
Go to Top of Page
   Topic   
Jump To:
Thorp T-18 Mutual Aid Society © 2011 T18.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.73 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000