Thorp T-18 Mutual Aid Society
Thorp T-18 Mutual Aid Society
Home | | Active Topics | ThorpList Format | Photo Album | View Photos by Member | File Library | Members | Member Map | Active Thorps Map | Search

NOTE: This site is no longer in use and is operating for reference only.
The Thorp community is now supported at the "Thorp Forum".

All Forums
 Thorp T-18
 Canopy
 Open canopy flying ?
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

msgraham

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2009 :  20:36:22  Show Profile
Can I open the canopy is flight ????mark, Abilene, tx

Rich Brazell

USA
911 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2009 :  21:31:02  Show Profile
Mark... I have a saying in Aviation. "You can do anything once !! I believe once airborne, you can not open the canopy, unless at a very slow speed. This topic has been discussed before and the general feeling is that it is not advisable to open the canopy in flight unless you are leaving the A/C. . A one hour flight in a Pietenpol was enough wind noise for me!
quote:

RB
NX115RXOriginally posted by msgraham

Can I open the canopy is flight ????mark, Abilene, tx

Go to Top of Page

leewwalton

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2009 :  22:33:21  Show Profile  Send leewwalton a Yahoo! Message
The canopy if left unlatched will hover about 3/4" - 1" open. Dick Cavin used to fly with his open like this always ... he had little ventilation.

Lee Walton
Houston, TX
N589LW,N51863
KDWH
Go to Top of Page

fytrplt

USA
182 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2009 :  12:50:04  Show Profile
Having been part of the team that renovated Cavin's airplane, I would have to say that what worked for Dick may not work in another airplane. His "canopy" was made of sheet metal from the back of the seats rearward. The mechanism to tie the canopy to the plane was also a bit different. In my opinion, flying with the canopy open is not a good idea. If cockpit ventilation is the goal here, I put a piece in the newsletter a while back that shows a ventilation system that works.

Bob Highley
N711SH
SN 835
KLAL
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
Thorp T-18 Mutual Aid Society © 2011 T18.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000