Thorp T-18 Mutual Aid Society
Thorp T-18 Mutual Aid Society
Home | | Active Topics | ThorpList Format | Photo Album | View Photos by Member | File Library | Members | Member Map | Active Thorps Map | Search

NOTE: This site is no longer in use and is operating for reference only.
The Thorp community is now supported at the "Thorp Forum".

All Forums
 Thorp T-18
 Canopy
 Canopy strip
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rich Brazell

USA
911 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2010 :  09:42:36  Show Profile
The fact that you have the old one to use as a template, will put you Light Years ahead of the process of making a new one. Bill is exactly right. Each one is a little different. I spent many days making the paper templates for all of my strips and it is not just a simple straight piece of aluminum. I used 6061 032 as it is readily avail here.

RB
NX115RX

thorpeutic

Canada
7 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2010 :  13:44:12  Show Profile
thank you...I have a Zenair mfg facility about 15 minutes away ...I know them pretty good and they always have pieces of scrap left over....can I replace the flat head screws with rivets ?...it looks rough with screw heads sticking out all over
Go to Top of Page

Rich Brazell

USA
911 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2010 :  19:30:10  Show Profile
I think some of the RV guys use rivets for some of their canopy attachments ? I may be wrong about that, it may have been on one of their sites. I would advise against using rivets to attach the strips thru the plexiglass to attach it to the canopy frame. The plexiglass needs to "float" a little bit and the screws provide that...you don't torque them down. The rivets will pull the glass too tight. I may be wrong about this also, if I am I will blame Fraser

RB
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
Thorp T-18 Mutual Aid Society © 2011 T18.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000