Thorp T-18 Mutual Aid Society
Thorp T-18 Mutual Aid Society
Home | | Active Topics | ThorpList Format | Photo Album | View Photos by Member | File Library | Members | Member Map | Active Thorps Map | Search

NOTE: This site is no longer in use and is operating for reference only.
The Thorp community is now supported at the "Thorp Forum".

All Forums
 Other Stuff
 Paint
 Painting a Thorp Version 2
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

leewwalton

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2010 :  05:19:31  Show Profile  Send leewwalton a Yahoo! Message
Alright, I know I mentioned at SnF that I was going to keep my mouth shut for a while on the Forum but it's been way too quiet lately!

I officially started painting my airplane yesterday so for the next couple of weeks I'm going to post daily pics of my painting process. Much like the 'one man - one afternoon' sequence. My approach is not perfect and not the most efficient in terms of paint use, but I have limited space and it works for me.

The first piece I painted was the canopy, no real reason for this being the first other than it requires the most masking and I wanted to get it out of the way first.

Here's the starting point;

Lee Walton
Houston, TX
N589LW,N51863
KDWH

leewwalton

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2010 :  16:36:00  Show Profile  Send leewwalton a Yahoo! Message
Update #1 - Fuselage

Managed to get the fuselage painted, not without a run though. It's a fine line you must walk between not enough and too much paint. Luckily the run is on the port side low so once I put the trim on I can just re-shoot the lower port side.

Lee Walton
Houston, TX
N589LW,N51863
KDWH
Go to Top of Page

Rich Brazell

USA
911 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2010 :  20:04:58  Show Profile
Looking good Billy Ray ! If all you have is one small run, you are way ahead of the game. Not sure if you are old enough to remember Earl Schieb and his early TV commercials, but in HS a buddy sent his 1960 something Rambler Sedan (he was a big hit in HS with the Rambler) to Uncle Earl..."I'll paint any car, any color for only $19.95, No Ups-No Extras!!" For $19.95 he not only painted the car, but the chrome, windows, rubber on the tires and even over the dirt! They even left on some of the masking tape for you to remove, should you care to ! Maybe he did charge extra for the runs ?

Faster and Farther

RB
NX115RX
Go to Top of Page

leewwalton

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2010 :  09:02:27  Show Profile  Send leewwalton a Yahoo! Message
Feeling good Lewis!

Update #2 - Tailfeathers

No runs today! A little orange peel on the vertical surfaces though, most likely due to my subconscious trying to keep from creating runs and thus moving the gun a bit too quick. I've yet to figure out how to paint a vertical surface without getting a little peel. Certainly nothing to loose sleep over as there's plenty of paint on there and I can always buff it out.

Lee Walton
Houston, TX
N589LW,N51863
KDWH
Go to Top of Page

Fraser MacPhee

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2010 :  09:23:34  Show Profile
These are great pics Lee - I am really enjoying watching the progress of your plane as I eagerly await the departure of the two estrogen wallet drainers (as highly trained productive members of society) and my time and budget are freed up to start some major airplane work - you are an inspiration to home builders of all aircraft.

Fraser MacPhee
N633PM
Draper, UT
Go to Top of Page

leewwalton

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2010 :  19:41:07  Show Profile  Send leewwalton a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Frase! If I didn't know better I'd say someone was postioning for some Lupe's Fajitas! ;)

Lee Walton
Houston, TX
N589LW,N51863
KDWH
Go to Top of Page

Fraser MacPhee

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2010 :  20:53:46  Show Profile
Lunch in AK on June 4th to be precise......

Fraser MacPhee
N633PM
Draper, UT
Go to Top of Page

leewwalton

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2010 :  10:56:28  Show Profile  Send leewwalton a Yahoo! Message
Update #3 - Center Wing, Wing Tips, Misc.

So far so good, if there is a 'fun' component to paint the center wing would have to be it. The main reason is that it's (at least I do) painted horizontally and flipped to paint each side, thus the fear of runs is eliminated as is the vertical orange peel issue. I've included a breakdown of just how many parts there are to paint on this thing. One would think that with what I've done I'd be well on my way ... as you can see that's not the case. Plenty left yet to coat!

Lee Walton
Houston, TX
N589LW,N51863
KDWH
Go to Top of Page

leewwalton

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2010 :  08:12:46  Show Profile  Send leewwalton a Yahoo! Message
Update #4 - Control Surfaces, Wheel pants, fairings

I skipped a day of updates purely due to the fact that it just wasn't that interesting. I'm down to the outer wing panels, gap covers, the cowl and those damn wing fillets. I have however been able to start putting things back together the most significant is the installation of Bob Highley's old windscreen (one man's garbage is another's ...) My original glass was horribly crazed but I was impatiently going to finishing the airplane and live with it for a while. There were many 'lucky' factors starting with a crack in my existing glass before leaving for SnF, combined with Bob pulling his out due to crazing and finally the fact the my roll-bar is lower than Bob's ... enough to allow me to cut his crazing off when trimming it to fit. Note of thanks first to Bob and secondly (no less significant) to Karen and David Read, I must have walked them 10 miles around SnF gathering hardware for my windsheid install Thanks guys!!!

Anyhow, here's your daily fix of the paint project ...

My wheelpant painting system ... two old bar stools, allows you to rotate them while painting ... very convenient!

Lee Walton
Houston, TX
N589LW,N51863
KDWH
Go to Top of Page

James Grahn

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2010 :  20:43:08  Show Profile
Beautiful! Did I miss what type of paint you are using?

Cubes
831GR
Las Vegas
Go to Top of Page

leewwalton

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2010 :  20:55:12  Show Profile  Send leewwalton a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Jim I left that out.

All PPG Products ..

Wash (etch) Primer - DX-1791 (1-2 thin coats)
Epoxy Primer - DP-90 (1-2 coats to cover)
Top Coat - DCC "concept" Acrylic Urethane (2 coats on anything facing down - 3 coats on anything facing up).

If you look at the other "Painting/refinishing a Thorp" posting it goes not more detail. I'm just using what I'm familiar with from the last time.

Lee Walton
Houston, TX
N589LW,N51863
KDWH
Go to Top of Page

leewwalton

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  20:20:07  Show Profile  Send leewwalton a Yahoo! Message
Update #5 - Outer Wings, Gap covers other small misc.

Down to the wire on the base coat, just the cowl and those damn wing fillets to go. That should happen tomorrow AM ... then on to the trim.

I ended up bolting the two outer panels together and then suspended them from the ceiling of the shop (garage to others). That allowed me to paint the outer panels in the flat and rotate, just like the inner wing. It's sticky humid in Houston right now and I know better than to try and wait for dry weather ... that would be next Oct. that being said I did get a little orange peel today but not bad enough to bother me.

Anyhow, here are the pics for the day ...

Lee Walton
Houston, TX
N589LW,N51863
KDWH
Go to Top of Page

Rich Brazell

USA
911 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2010 :  13:26:21  Show Profile
OK Lee...I'll see your fin and stab and raise you two flaps and a cowl ! In response to Senior' Frasers comments about finishing my A/C...we have had an usual amount of rain in SOCAL and this has delayed the rest of the painting. The stab and outer wing panels are done and need a little more buffing with Meguiar's Ultra Cut compound #105. I have never done any paint on this scale before and it has been a very LARGE learning curve. I had to reshoot several pieces due to coverage problems and from trial and error I found I was using too much reducer...( I mixed according to the can ). That problem is solved and should not be a problem for the fus. I did end up with some orange peel, but doing some research, I found that wet sanding with 1200, then 2000 paper, and a buff with the Meguiar's #105 produce a mirror finish. I did manage to paint the canopy and windshield trim during the rain ( yes Fraser I painted it inside !) I debated taking the trim off or masking and decided to tak the trim off to paint. The canopy is now protected by a thin film of protective dust ! Once I get the new tail rod, I'll roll the fus. out and prime and paint the rest of it. Then put it all together, do the paper work, get a BFR, taxi test the beast,then the sign off.

During all the rain I kept busy doing a complete kitchen remodel...now it's time to finish the S-18. Gettin close Senior' Fraser.

RB
NX115RX

Image Insert:

Put File Caption Here

Image Insert:

Put File Caption Here

Image Insert:

Put File Caption Here

Image Insert:

Put File Caption Here
Go to Top of Page

Rich Brazell

USA
911 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2010 :  13:39:04  Show Profile
Canopy trim and my little helper !

Image Insert:

Put File Caption Here

Image Insert:

Put File Caption Here

Image Insert:

Put File Caption Here

Image Insert:

Put File Caption Here

Image Insert:

Put File Caption Here
Go to Top of Page

leewwalton

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2010 :  04:19:22  Show Profile  Send leewwalton a Yahoo! Message
Update #6 - Cowl and TDF (those damn fillets)

I see your flaps and cowl and raise with a cowl and flush intake!

Very nice Rich! I'm considering going down the buff route, thanks for the product recommendation I may give that stuff a whirl. That red looks fantasitc!! Looking forward to seeing it come together.

Found some pinholes in the TDF's so they're getting shot again, I had forgotten about the aux tanks so they need to get shot was well.

Also included in photo #1 is my not-so-little helper ... but never have I known as loyal a helper. She's not quite there with bucking rivets but she'll get there someday.

Lee Walton
Houston, TX
N589LW,N51863
KDWH
Go to Top of Page

Rich Brazell

USA
911 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2010 :  06:43:41  Show Profile
Thanks Lee. Good location for your flush inlet. I wanted to put mine in that spot, but the cross over tubes were in the way, so lower right on the bottom cowling was the other "best" locaton. If you buy the M105 ultra cut compound local ( or on Amazon ) by he quart it is rather expensive...about $30.00 ( a little goes a long way ). I did find it on E-bay in a gallon size for $90.00 with free shipping and no tax. Me being the new guy at painting the gallon size to correct my FUBAR's seemed appropriate. Besides I can use it on the cars. I used a 7 inch variable speed buffer ( lowest setting ) with a foam cutting pad. The info on the M105 bottle sez to use the Meguiars polish after cutting to bring out the gloss...not sure if that is possible! Looks pretty glossy w/o the polish !

RB

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
Jump To:
Thorp T-18 Mutual Aid Society © 2011 T18.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000