Thorp T-18 Mutual Aid Society
Thorp T-18 Mutual Aid Society
Home | | Active Topics | ThorpList Format | Photo Album | View Photos by Member | File Library | Members | Member Map | Active Thorps Map | Search

NOTE: This site is no longer in use and is operating for reference only.
The Thorp community is now supported at the "Thorp Forum".

All Forums
 Thorp T-18
 Canopy
 Make your own Canopy?
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ZachL

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2010 :  19:19:50  Show Profile
I have been looking around the internet trying to find information about making your own canopy. I can't seem to find any articles although I keep finding references to articles. Can someone shed some light on this and post a link.

ZachL

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2010 :  19:40:42  Show Profile
Finally found one http://eaa245.dhs.org/Presentations/Canopy/index.html for future reference.
Go to Top of Page

Victor Thompson

Canada
73 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2010 :  08:07:05  Show Profile
Martin Poettcker the author is the President of the EAA Ottawa Chapter 245.

http://www.eaa.org/bitsandpieces/articles/2009-02_chapter245.asp

Several aircraft in my area are flying due to his handy work.

Thanks for the great link.

Victor J Thompson
C-GIRQ
"In Memory Of Dad"
Go to Top of Page

Bill Williams

USA
336 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2010 :  13:06:50  Show Profile
Before everyone tries to make a canopy, you need to go and see Jeff and Becky at the Airplane Plastics and watch them make a Thorp(RV) style canopy. It is quite a process and the novice need not apply. Just like steel or aluminum, there are different compositions of acrylic and you need the correct one to form a canopy. Suggest we bite the bullet and buy one from Jeff. There is a reason it cost $1500.
Go to Top of Page

Rich Brazell

USA
911 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2010 :  15:46:07  Show Profile
I agree. Go with Airplane Plastics. I contacted the "New Bee Gee" outfit about an S-18 canopy. They said it was in the works...that was 3 years ago. Never heard back from them. I had an older unused canopy that I think came from Bee Gee and the optics were terrible. The AP plastics canopy is like a lens and as far as I can tell pretty much free from imperfections and optically clear. . Yes it is a wee bit on he expensive side, but if you FUBAR it up fitting it (crack it) , they will sell you a new one for 1/2 price. There is a 6 month window for the warranty.

There is another outfit tht sells T-18/S-18 canopies and windshields, but I can't remember their name? I'll try and find them and post it. I believe there were the same price as AP plastics?

Faster and Farther

RB
NX115RX
Go to Top of Page

Richard Eklund

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2010 :  21:18:26  Show Profile  Visit Richard Eklund's Homepage
There is a West Coast T18/S18 canopy supplier. Aircraft Windshield Co. in Los Alamitos, California. 562-430-8108 Talk to Judy Gallow.

RCE
Go to Top of Page

Gary Green

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2010 :  10:06:11  Show Profile
I can't imagine why one would want to go through the self flagellation of making their own canopy when ones of excellent quality are readily available for about $1500 from Jeff and Becky at the Dayton Airplane Plastics company. I've been to their plant and they are professionals all the way.
Gary Green
Go to Top of Page

Rich Brazell

USA
911 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2010 :  10:56:04  Show Profile
I agree...as one who has had to deal with flatulents for some time, buying is less painful.

RB
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
Thorp T-18 Mutual Aid Society © 2011 T18.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000