Thorp T-18 Mutual Aid Society
Thorp T-18 Mutual Aid Society
Home | | Active Topics | ThorpList Format | Photo Album | View Photos by Member | File Library | Members | Member Map | Active Thorps Map | Search

NOTE: This site is no longer in use and is operating for reference only.
The Thorp community is now supported at the "Thorp Forum".

All Forums
 Thorp T-18
 Wing
 Wing Bolts
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ryan Allen

USA
150 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  07:20:48  Show Profile
I think i see my error. I was thinking there would be an alternate (to the pins) bolt described for the main beam connection just like there is for the rear beam connection. I was looking all over the plans but I never could find that bolt description anywhere. I understand now that there is no alternate bolt called out in the plans for the main beam connection....I must go through the plans and use my noggin to figure out the proper bolt size. Thanks for walking me through that.
Go to Top of Page

Ryan Allen

USA
150 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  19:56:25  Show Profile
A fellow at the airport today asked me what was the proper torque to use when I re-attach the center wing section to the fuselage. I told him I didnt need to use a torque wrench, but now I am doubting myself. Am I supposed to torque these nuts? I was just going to use a ratchet until I couldn't turn the ratchet any more.

Edited by - Ryan Allen on 03/11/2010 20:03:34
Go to Top of Page

Fraser MacPhee

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  20:18:36  Show Profile

Hi Ryan - "Do" use a torque wrench - I do not know the torque value off hand, but three years ago, I musta stripped out two of the vert stab nut plates thinking that even a poosy like me cannot over torque an AN bolt - when I looked up the torque valus for those bolts I stripped, it was 4 foot pounds - a helluva lot less than I can reef on there with a 4 inch long wrench in my lips. When Rich gets off the throne and cleans up, he'll chime in with a torque value - until then, don't tighten it down.

Fraser
886Y
DRaper, Ut

Fraser MacPhee
N633PM
Draper, UT
Go to Top of Page

leewwalton

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  21:03:49  Show Profile  Send leewwalton a Yahoo! Message
Frase is right for certain places but the main wing bolts are -6 ... you're not going to over torque them .. that being said they just need to be tightened snug. Cranking those down is just going to make it more of a pain to pull the wing when you need to again. The wing was originally designed to use push-pins in place of the bolts. They only need to be tight enough so that the nuts don't back off, as they are self locking AN-365 type your fine with a just getting them snug.

Lee Walton
Houston, TX
N589LW,N51863
KDWH
Go to Top of Page

Rich Brazell

USA
911 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  21:19:17  Show Profile
In response to my loyal subject Nave McFee, Sir Richard would like to direct you to AC43-13, which will list the proper torque values for said AN Nuts and Bolts. Now that my Royal Services are no longer required, Nave McFee (sans his pixey wings) will scamper and draw my bath water.

RB
Go to Top of Page

Bill Williams

USA
336 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  03:53:15  Show Profile
Did we forget that at one time these bolts were Aeroquip pull pins or equivalent. These pins/bolts are in shear.
Go to Top of Page

Fraser MacPhee

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  10:06:15  Show Profile
Well, I didn't like, totally ferget Bill - I just took the opportunity to express my concern for torque citing my recent foibles - and actually, during the deflowering of my first conditional a mere 4 years ago, your fellow amigo advised me of the wing attach bolts to be snugg, having gotten a call from yours ignernt expressing a sudden concern as to the fact there were but 2 bolts connecting the main sparr to the fuselage. I proudly wear my ignernce under my safety pillow having been merely a student of the Cessna Flight Skool program prior to this experi(mental) T-18 adventure.
I exist butt to serve, Rich......:)

Fraser MacPhee
N633PM
Draper, UT
Go to Top of Page

Bill Williams

USA
336 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  16:13:49  Show Profile
Fraze, the fuselage is there only for the ride as long as you stay positve "G's", go negative and the wing leaves, the pins/bolts just makes sure it stays in close formation.
Go to Top of Page

Ryan Allen

USA
150 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  18:36:56  Show Profile
Thats a good point Bill. Thanks for the help fellas.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
Jump To:
Thorp T-18 Mutual Aid Society © 2011 T18.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000