Thorp T-18 Mutual Aid Society
Thorp T-18 Mutual Aid Society
Home | | Active Topics | ThorpList Format | Photo Album | View Photos by Member | File Library | Members | Member Map | Active Thorps Map | Search

NOTE: This site is no longer in use and is operating for reference only.
The Thorp community is now supported at the "Thorp Forum".

All Forums
 Thorp T-18
 Canopy
 Canopy Inst.
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Rich Brazell

USA
911 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2009 :  19:48:45  Show Profile
In an effort to get the correct canopy seal ( per the plans), I will take the point on this project. I need a firm commitment on those that want to chip in for the die charge. When I first looked into this about 2 years ago, the set up charge was about $175.00. Then there was a min. amount of seal to buy to get a price break. You may not need or want the seal now, but some time in the future this seal will need replacing. Don't hold me to this, but once we pay for the die, there should be no further die charges incured in the future...only material costs increases. The company that quoted me the die charge is near KNKX, about a 30 min. drive. If enough folks show interest, I will go to the company and get further details.

Wouldn't it be nice once and for all to have the correct seal and not have to test the waters with all the other make shift materials we are using now! If you are interested and are willing to commit to paying for the die charge please sign up. I need some type of support and commitment from the group before I go to the supplier. Once I have the support, I can foward to the group the approx. costs. Standard disclaimer..."There is no guarantee that the seal supplied per the plans will fit your particuliar installation." Lee...is there a way we can have a sign-up sheet attached to the forum?

RB
NX115RX
Go to Top of Page

fytrplt

USA
182 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2009 :  21:12:12  Show Profile
I need two sets of seal.

Bob Highley
N711SH
SN 835
KLAL
Go to Top of Page

Rich Brazell

USA
911 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2009 :  21:52:16  Show Profile
Please review the entire message I just posted...then we can talk seals. We are no where near your request.

RB
quote:
Originally posted by fytrplt

I need two sets of seal.

Go to Top of Page

leewwalton

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2009 :  22:37:27  Show Profile  Send leewwalton a Yahoo! Message
Signup sheet ... I'm on it Rich!

Lee Walton
Houston, TX
N589LW,N51863
KDWH
Go to Top of Page

Rich Brazell

USA
911 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2009 :  22:48:52  Show Profile
Thanks Bro! I hope we get a favorable response? In the big scheme of things we're not talking a lot of money split between 100+ members!

RB
quote:
Originally posted by leewwalton

Signup sheet ... I'm on it Rich!

Go to Top of Page

fytrplt

USA
182 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2009 :  07:35:07  Show Profile
Rich,

Safe your guns! I was just telling you my future needs and support of your proposal. To reiterate: I'm in for my share of the die and I need two seal strips for projects I'm working on.

Bob Highley
N711SH
SN 835
KLAL
Go to Top of Page

ronald hayes

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2009 :  10:14:10  Show Profile
Rich,
I would also sign up for the seal.

N102RH
Ron Hayes
Go to Top of Page

rfarris

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2009 :  10:20:34  Show Profile  Visit rfarris's Homepage
Roy Farris says yes to the die and seal purchase ... put me on the list

Roy Farris
Go to Top of Page

Rich Brazell

USA
911 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2009 :  10:59:12  Show Profile
Sorry about that! I thought is was cleared into the gun pattern hot ! Apparently someone else is trying to contact the company that made the rubber seal for JT to see if they still have the dies. That would be a piece of magic if they are still around! Anywho, I think we should still persue both courses of action for now in case, one falls thru. Lee is going to post a sign up sheet.

RB
quote:
Originally posted by fytrplt

Rich,

Safe your guns! I was just telling you my future needs and support of your proposal. To reiterate: I'm in for my share of the die and I need two seal strips for projects I'm working on.

Go to Top of Page

Jim Ernst

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2009 :  12:40:23  Show Profile
Count me in on the canopy seal project. jim Ernst

jim Ernst
Go to Top of Page

Richard H Woodcock

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2009 :  20:21:04  Show Profile
As to glued canopies, I'll almost certainly go that way when I replace mine. The main drawback is that if the canopy needs to be replaced, it would be difficult to get it removed from the frame. Also, like so many other things, applying it and getting a nice clean bead, is not rocket surgery, but requires a knack that I may not have. I'll try to get a friend of mine to help.

I asked a friend who has been in the auto-glass business for about 20 years bonding plexiglass. He's familiar with Silkaflex 220, which he says is good, NAPA sells 3M Superfast (which he says is not as good). He uses and recommends Dow 418 or 428 plus, with 5404A primer. All are sold as "automtive urethane" adhesive.

I tested some 428+ when he was working with it in our hangar, and bonded some Lexan pieces together. The next day they would NOT come apart. I also tested some without the primer, and it stuck well, but I did manage to get the parts apart without tools. It was black, goes on like RTV from a caulking gun, and feels like RTV when cured (8 hrs or so) - but is though stuff.

Rich Woodcock
N114RW - T18CW
Go to Top of Page

Richard H Woodcock

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2009 :  20:26:41  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Rich Brazell

Richard...The seal called for in the plans is a unique type of seal. If CSA has that seal, that is good News! Is is possible for you to post a pic of the seal? If it is the correct seal ( plans seal) it would save a lot of folks mucho heart burn ! I would gladly pay double what you did for the correct seal! I already have a substitute seal installed, but would buy the seal you purchased to have on hand.

RB
NX115RX[quote]Originally posted by Richard H Woodcock

I can do better than that. I've installed it, and it fits well, although I haven't yet flown. I pulled plan 1439 today, and compared the dimensions - they match.

When looking for it, I called Richard Eklund, who sugested Spruce, and I also spent considerable time searching McMaster Carr and various places on the internet, without success.

I was very surprised that CSA had the material, but Mike sent it out promptly and priced reasonably. He also, at another time, sent me a copy of the flight manual he prepared, without charge, even for postage.

So, if anyone wants it, I'd suggest they call CSA, and tell him how much you want.

In this case, I doubt very much that we as a group could come up with something cheaper, in the quantities we would produce, than CSA (or his source). Personally, I also think if our two suppliers supply parts at a reasonable price that we can't make in our shop, we should support them, and buy from them.

Rich Woodcock
N114RW - T18CW
Go to Top of Page

Stephen Peirce

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2009 :  13:48:05  Show Profile
Count me into the project also Steve Peirce.

Stephen R. Peirce
S/N#078 Ph 256-461-0233
Rocket City
Huntsville, Alabama
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
Jump To:
Thorp T-18 Mutual Aid Society © 2011 T18.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000