Thorp T-18 Mutual Aid Society
Thorp T-18 Mutual Aid Society
Home | | Active Topics | ThorpList Format | Photo Album | View Photos by Member | File Library | Members | Member Map | Active Thorps Map | Search

NOTE: This site is no longer in use and is operating for reference only.
The Thorp community is now supported at the "Thorp Forum".

All Forums
 Thorp T-18
 Canopy
 Canopy Inst.
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

dondday

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2009 :  17:35:48  Show Profile  Visit dondday's Homepage
Hello Thorpies,

After long hours, days and months, I finally decided to quit trying to make a "Pressurized Cabin" out of my Thorp. Mentioned in the other forum that I had gotten some P-Seal from Uni-Grip ($1/ft) and attempted to install it all the way around the canopy frame, but the thing grips the fuselage making it almost impossible to open or close. Took the P-Seal off from the canopy except around front which meets up with the windscreen seal. Works like a champ. Also got some smaller - flatter silicone seal from Home Depot Aircraft Supply and seems to work ok. I'll have pics as soon as I can figure out how to put them in here.

In CowTown USA,
Don D-Day

NX18DD

dan

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2009 :  10:15:57  Show Profile

Hi Bob,was it you that that come up with the slick method of using the adhesive for Canopy installation? if so, there has been some time pass now is it still doing just fine? Can you give us a up to date on that as it was inovation to say the least. If I am totally wrong here overlook my mistake please.........Dan
Go to Top of Page

fytrplt

USA
182 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2009 :  10:22:00  Show Profile
Gary Green has the bonded canopy install. How about an update, Gary?

Bob Highley
N711SH
SN 835
KLAL
Go to Top of Page

Gary Green

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2009 :  10:23:33  Show Profile
I used Sikaflex 295UV to bond my canopy and windscreen to the frame and roll bar and bond the fairing skirt to the canopy. I think the article was in the n.l. about 3 yrs ago. It has been very satisfactory and I would do it that way again. The key is to follow the instructions. Clean the plexiglass, mask off the areas to be bonded, scuff with Scotchbrite, prime with Sika primer (both plexiglas and aluminum). The adhesive won't stick to surfaces not primed. This forum won't allow me to upload jpg files. Why?

Gary Green
Go to Top of Page

leewwalton

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2009 :  19:09:08  Show Profile  Send leewwalton a Yahoo! Message
jpg should be fine Gary ... you already have 4 in your photo album. what error is it giving you?

Lee Walton
Houston, TX
N589LW,N51863
KDWH
Go to Top of Page

Rich Brazell

USA
911 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2009 :  18:01:47  Show Profile
With regard to the T-18 canopy seal, I found this info in NL #15.

Canopy Seal...John Thorp has a Special Die for the rubber canopy seal. He will have a new batch made and the details on how you can obtain some will appear in the next newsletter.

Now I know why I can not find the canopy seal called for in the plans!

RB
NX115RX
Go to Top of Page

Richard H Woodcock

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2009 :  19:07:41  Show Profile
Try Classic Sport Aircraft.

Rich Woodcock
N114RW - T18CW
Go to Top of Page

dan

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  07:31:34  Show Profile

Hi Gary, a friend at KVIS just purchased a Thorp out of Bullhead city Arizona. It has a bonded windscreen, and the lower portion of the windscreen is bonded to the fuse, it is clean and fairly well done. The adhesive has got a death grip on the plexi so he wants to leave it alone and I dont blame him. Is there anyway we can tell if this is the Silkaflex? It would appear that a darkened strip has been put on the outside of the shield to block UV it is neatly done and again I am just guessing as to why it is there. Any Ideas..Dan
Go to Top of Page

Rich Brazell

USA
911 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  11:04:42  Show Profile
I found a "similar" seal to use for the canopy. I spent many, many hours as well as weeks trying to find the "original seal" called for in the plans. It was when I came across the note in the old NL's about the dies that JT had to make the "original seal", that I came to realize that the plans called for seal is not available. However...the "original seal" can be manufactured if you pay for the set up charge to make the die ( usually a couple hundred dollars) and then buy a min. quantity of the seal. If enough folks wanted the "original seal", then it would be possible to chip in and split the cost and I suppose the group would own the die? Probably not a bad idea in the long run. I know I've spent a lot of $$$ on seals I purchased and will never use. To have the correct seal would have saved me a lot of time and $$$. What would I pay for about 6 feet of the correct seal? Priceless !! The cost of the die divided by the members that wanted the correct seal, would be minimal...then the cost of the actual seal would be about $2.00-$3.00/ft (in quantity). Price subject to change. Your mileage may vary.

RB
NX115RX
quote:
Originally posted by Richard H Woodcock

Try Classic Sport Aircraft.

Go to Top of Page

dan

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  11:46:50  Show Profile

Hi Rich, Roscoe Cronan at Synaflex rubber prod company 256-362-2431 can quote on this seal per ft. He will need a drawing to quote, and the die charge is 150.00 I have worked with Roscoe for years and he is easy to work with. Have him qoute it out of High grade Neoprene with UV inhibitor, I believe the shore rating is probably on the drawing. OR, send me a drawing and I will talk to him...Dan
Go to Top of Page

Rich Brazell

USA
911 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  12:45:10  Show Profile
Thanks Dan. I already have a sub. seal in place on the canopy. I was just posting the info about the group buying a die... (yea, right...pilots buying something!) Once the group has a die from a manufacturer, then they can get the correct seal at a reasonable cost. The cost of the die spread out over say 30 members, would be about $5.00 each! CHEAP, even by my standards!

RB
quote:
Originally posted by dan

Hi Rich, Roscoe Cronan at Synaflex rubber prod company 256-362-2431 can quote on this seal per ft. He will need a drawing to quote, and the die charge is 150.00 I have worked with Roscoe for years and he is easy to work with. Have him qoute it out of High grade Neoprene with UV inhibitor, I believe the shore rating is probably on the drawing. OR, send me a drawing and I will talk to him...Dan

Go to Top of Page

dan

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  12:59:52  Show Profile

Ok Rich, just dont like to think about you being held up..Dan
Go to Top of Page

Richard H Woodcock

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2009 :  01:01:00  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by MarcBourget

I suspect that John Thorp's rubber dies are in the possession of Richard Eklund, not CSA.

I bought some from Classic Sport Aircraft, and believe it matches the plans. Don't think Mr. Eklund had any, but that was a year or so ago.
As I recall, it was around $20, including shipping, for enough to to do the windshield.

Rich Woodcock
N114RW - T18CW

Edited by - Richard H Woodcock on 12/18/2009 07:42:51
Go to Top of Page

Rich Brazell

USA
911 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2009 :  09:13:58  Show Profile
Richard...The seal called for in the plans is a unique type of seal. If CSA has that seal, that is good News! Is is possible for you to post a pic of the seal? If it is the correct seal ( plans seal) it would save a lot of folks mucho heart burn ! I would gladly pay double what you did for the correct seal! I already have a substitute seal installed, but would buy the seal you purchased to have on hand.

RB
NX115RX
quote:
Originally posted by Richard H Woodcock

quote:
Originally posted by MarcBourget

I suspect that John Thorp's rubber dies are in the possession of Richard Eklund, not CSA.

I bought some from Classic Sport Aircraft, and believe it matches the plans. Don't think Mr. Eklund had any, but that was a year or so ago.
As I recall, it was around $20, including shipping, for enough to to do the windshield.

Go to Top of Page

BlackOPS

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2009 :  11:45:57  Show Profile
Hey Rich, count me in on the die cost. and setup..

L...

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." --Douglas Adams
N18VP
Go to Top of Page

Rich Brazell

USA
911 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2009 :  13:34:24  Show Profile
Larry: After all the B_ _ _ _ in and Moaning from the group about not being able to find the correct seal for the canopy, I posted (again) that all we would have to do is chip in as a group and buy a die. Then we could do a run on the canopy seal ( min quantity required) and then be able to purchase the "correct seal" at a reasonable cost. Some folks have already burned up that much ( their share of the die cost), buying the wrong seal sight unseen, from McMaster-Carr, Spruce and HD. $200 for a die ( probably high) divided by 10 members is $20 ! Plus the material run ( probably about $2.00 a ft., maybe less, depending on the quantity). Once the group has the die, then anyone in the group call the supplier and order the material, or someone in a particular region can bulk buy it and distribute it. We are not talking a lot of money here...hell most of us burn up $20 a week on Star Bucks[/i] ! I guess it might be an idea to take a poll, just to see how many would be interested in the Correct Seal and be willing to "chip in" for the die cost.

RB
NX115RX
quote:
[i]Originally posted by BlackOPS

Hey Rich, count me in on the die cost. and setup..

L...

Edited by - Rich Brazell on 12/18/2009 13:39:52
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
Jump To:
Thorp T-18 Mutual Aid Society © 2011 T18.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000