Thorp T-18 Mutual Aid Society
Thorp T-18 Mutual Aid Society
Home | | Active Topics | ThorpList Format | Photo Album | View Photos by Member | File Library | Members | Member Map | Active Thorps Map | Search

NOTE: This site is no longer in use and is operating for reference only.
The Thorp community is now supported at the "Thorp Forum".

All Forums
 Technical Info
 Paint
 Four colors of primer

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Insert YouTube Insert Smilie

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Attach Image:  Insert an Image File

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jeff Blanton Posted - 04/20/2011 : 12:21:48
I just passed 50 hours of flight last Saturday. I took the plane apart and brought it home for paint, interior and electric aileron trim. I am tired of people making fun of the four colors of primer. I went to a Cessna Aircraft surplus sale and purchased four hides of leather and four different fabrics, and a roll of carpet for $25. There is enough there to do many planes.

Image Insert:

Put File Caption Here
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Victor Thompson Posted - 10/31/2011 : 17:59:33
Nice Job Jeff.
Rich Brazell Posted - 10/31/2011 : 16:11:41
No kidding it was a lot of work ! Looks great ! Having been on the shooting end of the spray gun, I can appreciate the great job you did !

RB
James Grahn Posted - 10/31/2011 : 08:37:01
Nicely done, Jeff.
Jeff Blanton Posted - 10/31/2011 : 07:50:04
Thanks Lee! It was a lot more work after I removed the laquer primer. I removed so much bondo with a heat gun and plastic scraper it will probably be lighter now! I about filled up a black yard bag! Sherman Williams epoxy primer and Jet Glo paint, with no bondo this time. I am very happy the way it turned out.
leewwalton Posted - 10/30/2011 : 19:22:58
O and by the way .. ship looks real nice!
leewwalton Posted - 10/30/2011 : 19:22:40
Sorry Jeff, forum software get's picky somethings regarding filenames ...

Another reason we're switching over to a new forum not far from now.
Jeff Blanton Posted - 10/30/2011 : 17:43:11
Image Insert:

Jeff Blanton Posted - 10/30/2011 : 17:41:02
My paint is complete. Here is a picture of my plane sitting next to its big brother. Should be flying soon!

Jeff B

Image Insert:

Jeff Blanton Posted - 04/21/2011 : 05:28:41
Bill and Fraser,

I agree with the Maule tailwheel. I already planned on installing an ACP. It has not had shimmy problems. Bill, I will check everything you mentioned. The structure was mostly built except for the tail when I purchased the plane. I built and installed the shear plates. They are per drawing.

Thanks,
Jeff
Bill Williams Posted - 04/21/2011 : 03:16:46
The Maule tailewheel dos not make a good furniture dolley wheel let alone for an airplane. Buy a Scott or ACP or something with a double fork.
Check and see if you have two diagional rows of rivets coming from the firewall,each side, attached to the 580-16 angle. Also, there should be 3/4 x 3/4 angle on the inside of the firewall along the sides. This was a mod to prevent what your are describing. Another item is to check the shear plates, make sure they are there, rivets per drawing and .040 al.
Fraser MacPhee Posted - 04/20/2011 : 19:50:23
Tailwheel shimmy? - that looks like a Maule tailwheel - I had one of those on my last plane for the first few months and got some of that at times.
Jeff Blanton Posted - 04/20/2011 : 18:39:00
Sorry posted two of the same picture.

Image Insert:

Put File Caption Here
Jeff Blanton Posted - 04/20/2011 : 18:37:26
This is the stuff from Cessna. The two other hides will be on my dad's Breezy he is building. I am using the fabric with the wavey lines, the carpet and tan leather. I think I will hang on to the extra for now. There is one thing I need advise on. I have been flying off grass and I hear an oil canning sound around my left leg area, and I can sometimes feel it in the former by my leg on taxi and roll out. The strip is moderately smooth. I don't notice anything on paved runways. Is this normal, or do I need to do something before paint? Larry I am in Wichita KS.

Jeff

Image Insert:

Put File Caption Here

larry Posted - 04/20/2011 : 15:17:03
i cant get my grass looking like that must be the new england weather
Bill Williams Posted - 04/20/2011 : 14:13:45
Lookin mighty Thorpie...Nice looking bird. As for the paint, I flew mine for over a year in primer. It had stripes along the rivet lines and people called it "spot"

Thorp T-18 Mutual Aid Society © 2011 T18.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000