Thorp T-18 Mutual Aid Society
Thorp T-18 Mutual Aid Society
Home | | Active Topics | ThorpList Format | Photo Album | View Photos by Member | File Library | Members | Member Map | Active Thorps Map | Search

NOTE: This site is no longer in use and is operating for reference only.
The Thorp community is now supported at the "Thorp Forum".

All Forums
 Technical Info
 Paint
 Paint

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Insert YouTube Insert Smilie

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Attach Image:  Insert an Image File

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
chuck Posted - 12/18/2010 : 21:38:52
New intake and wheel pant fairings installed. Now time to strip.....it took me over 8 hours to strip the flaps and a few misc. parts. Removed two past paint jobs and primer with many stripper applications. At this rate I'll be done in a couple years. If anyone has a silver bullet on how to remove this any quicker I'm all ears!!

Chuck

Image Insert:

Put File Caption Here
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
chuck Posted - 03/30/2011 : 20:08:07
Thanks Frase.

@ Scott, this sounds like fun, I've had this on my calendar since it was first mentioned. I have to wait and see if my odd schedule will allow it to happen.

Chuck
shinton Posted - 03/30/2011 : 17:57:06
How about letting us all admire your worrk by coming to Elizabeth City in June.
Fraser MacPhee Posted - 03/30/2011 : 14:14:10
Priorities, Chuck.....We would never do that upon closer inspection of our better halves, so rest assured none of us would ever say that about an aircraft.........
chuck Posted - 03/30/2011 : 14:07:51
Thanks gents for all your kind words. Please don't take them back when you see it up close!

Chuck
CTT18forjoe Posted - 03/30/2011 : 14:00:34
Chuck,

Great job on the paint.

Joe Gauthier
bill stephenson Posted - 03/30/2011 : 12:33:25
You have to be proud of the work you have put into getting
this broken bird back to an almost new state. I like the new paint job.

Bill Stephenson
Sidney, B.C.
Victor Thompson Posted - 03/30/2011 : 09:03:56
Chuck great job with the checker board.

In Europe CAF had a 104 Sqn, 441 (Sliver Fox) using the call sign "Checker Checker" wonder where they got the name,....

Image Insert:

Put File Caption Here

Again nice work on the paint job.
chuck Posted - 03/30/2011 : 04:11:00
Not a single seep under the tape on the pin strip, I had several however doing the checker board (Tartan).

@ Hurant a Catto.

Chuck
hurant Posted - 03/29/2011 : 21:02:48
Great paint job but what brand is that three bladed prop and will it stand up to four banger power pulses?
Fraser MacPhee Posted - 03/29/2011 : 20:07:36
Bruce - that's no checkerboard.......that there is a Tartan!!

Great looking paint scheme Chuck.
bfinney Posted - 03/29/2011 : 19:21:46
Chuck,
Any thing would be an improvement from when I saw your aircraft when it was in Great Falls, MT that was before it went to Victoria. I like the checker board, that must'a been a lot of work.
Rich Brazell Posted - 03/29/2011 : 18:41:40
Chuck it looks GREAT ! And yes it is a lot of work. I really like the "checker board" scheme. Me being a first time painter, I learned a lot from the "Hot Rod Boys" on their web sites. In particular, wet sanding the paint to remove surface defects...orange peel, runs and bugs ! I followed this up with Meguiars #105 Ultra Cut Compound using a 7 inch variable speed buffer (low speed setting). This really works and turns any shade tree (yours it not a shade tree) paint job into a real looker ! You did a great job and saved a butt load of money.

RB
chuck Posted - 03/29/2011 : 18:12:16
So, I'm still assembling, however, this gives you an idea. Damn, this was a lot of work, which I'm not immune too, I just had no idea!. being a first time painter, from 10,000' I Give myself an A+ from 5' a C-. Thanks to Rich and Lee for their painting help and suggestions, now I just have to live with all my paint defects. I was hoping to make it to Sun-N-Fun again this year, however, I'm to far behind the 8ball, maybe I'll see you gent's at Osh.

Chuck
N575CK

Image Insert:

Put File Caption Here
chuck Posted - 01/22/2011 : 07:46:27
Went out in a snow storm yesterday just to find the "West System" #407 for filling, rather pricey but I understand worth it. I spent over $100 for what I would consider a small kit. The 32oz epoxy resin alone was $41.00.

Chuck
Rich Brazell Posted - 01/21/2011 : 18:07:28
Yep...I think the "Bondo" is more brittle when it sets up and probably heaver.

RB

Thorp T-18 Mutual Aid Society © 2011 T18.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000